In a 2018 speech on digital transformation and cybersecurity, FBI Director Christopher Wray said, “As cyber threats evolve, we need to evolve as well.” His words remain true today in a world where hackers and malware have only become more sophisticated and troublesome. So far in 2021, for instance, ransomware has disrupted the distribution of jet fuel and gasoline in the U.S. in addition to interfering with production for the largest meat supplier in the world, according to The New York Times.
Cybercriminals change their tactics and develop new types of malware constantly – and, as Wray stated, IT security professionals must evolve as well or risk falling far behind and failing to protect their organizations from new threats. That’s easier said than done, however. Given the breakneck pace at which the threat landscape changes, security teams have their plates more than full as they attempt to keep up while also handling daily tasks and staying up-to-speed on new cybersecurity solutions.
Fortunately, internal IT security teams don’t necessarily have to tackle everything on their own. That’s where co-managed IT security services come in.
What Are Co-Managed IT Security Services?
Co-managed cybersecurity services essentially involve outsourcing some of your security functions while keeping others in-house, depending on your specific preferences and needs. A managed security service provider (MSSP) can take over as much or as little of your cybersecurity program as you want.
At Stratosphere Networks, our security team can handle any mix of these elements as part of our co-managed offering:
- Blended managed detection and response (MDR): Receive XDR-like detection via the aggregation of multiple data sources from the various application and network layers of your systems and infrastructure.
- Security Operations Center as a Service (SOCaaS): Ensure you have “eyes on the glass” at all times to achieve the highest level of protection for your IT environment.
- Remediation and continuous monitoring via MSSP: A full-service MSSP will leverage blended MDR and SOCaaS as the primary detection and aggregation point for comprehensive information security program management and incident response services.
Our security team can collaborate with yours to achieve optimal security posture. For example, we might provide leading solutions but allow your in-house staff to tackle any alerts.
4 Key Advantages of Co-Managed Cybersecurity
There are plenty of reasons to sign up for co-managed IT security services from an MSSP. Here are just a few of the most notable advantages of bringing in reinforcements for your in-house staff.
- Less stress for your in-house staff.
- Lower data breach risk. With the global average total cost of a data breach totaling $3.86 million in 2020 (source: IBM Security), prevention is vital.
- Access to a wider range of high-level cybersecurity expertise with our virtual CISO services.
- More eyes watching for signs of compromise and assurance that you’re covered 24/7.
At a time when cybercrime isn’t slowing down, it’s imperative to invest in proactive protection for your organization.