5 Channel Partner & MSP News Updates for 15 May 2023
Cyber Warranty Company, Cork, Emerges from Stealth; Kaseya's Voccola Takes Victory Lap, Labor Market Still Hot
Credit: Getty Images
Happy Monday. Here are six technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day on May 15, 2023.
What’s In Our Daily Mix?
- Who We Serve: Content for managed services providers (MSPs), IT service providers (ITSPs), cybersecurity consultants, technology solutions providers (TSPs), systems integrators, VARs, independent software vendors (ISVs), distributors and any other partner acronym that further energizes our already stellar SEO.
- Frequency: Every business day.
- Reaching me: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Today’s Technology and MSP Partner Program News
- An uncorking: A new cyber warranty company for MSPs serving small business, Cork, has made its debut, emerging from stealth and funded by DVx Ventures. DVx Ventures led the $6 million seed funding round with participation from Outsiders Fund and Vestigo Ventures. Outsiders Fund managing director Austin McChord (the founder of Datto) is one of the directors of the company. Cork also announced strategic partnerships with Barracuda Networks and River Run. At launch Cork’s warranty will be bundled with new and existing renewals of Barracuda’s Managed XDR. MSP River Run will offer the Cork active monitoring platform and warranty to its clients.
- Kaseya’s Voccola takes victory lap: Tech companies from Microsoft to Amazon to Google have announced thousands of layoffs in 2023 alone. According to Layoffs.fyi, the current tally is 675 tech companies that have announced the elimination of 193,150 jobs. At the same time, Kaseya CEO Fred Voccola is taking a bit of a victory lap having avoided mass layoffs so far. He told Fox Business last week that he moved Kaseya from California to South Florida and implemented an in-office policy for all workers. That’s kept the company’s labor costs under control, even as the cost of labor continues to climb around the country.
- Still a good market for skilled tech workers: But things aren’t so bad for skilled tech workers, even if they have been laid off. These workers are getting snapped up pretty quickly, according to Zip Recruiter. Exactly 37% of those layed off in the tech industry found a new job within one month and 79% found a new job within three months. That fast rate “underscores the many opportunities available.” In addition, quit rates remain the highest in over 20 years and unemployment is at a steady 3.4%-3.7%, Zip Recruiter noted.
- New HR leader: The 20 MSP Group has appointed Audrey Conley to the job of human resources director. In her new role she will serve as a member of the 20’s executive leadership team and she will oversee all HR functions.
- New CFO: Check Point Software Technologies has appointed Roei Golan to the job of chief financial officer. He has served as the acting CFO since November 2022. Golan joined Check Point in 2021 after working at Ernst & Young for 11 years where he held the role if managing director in the technology practice.
- New COO: Frontline Managed Services, an MSP providing services to the law firm and accounting vertical markets, has named Darryl Hair chief operations officer. He brings more than 25 years of experience, leading operations, administration, finance, strategy, and information technology at several law firms.
C. Technology Conferences for MSPs, IT Channel Partners and More
- Ingram Micro Cloud & Innovation Summit (May 15-17)
- SAP Sapphire (May 16-17)
- Lenovo Accelerate (May 16-18)
- ServiceNow Knowledge (May 16-18)
- Dell Technologies World 2023 (May 22-25)
- All Tech Conferences: Listed Here
- Add Your Annual Event To Our Calendar: Submit it here for consideration.