Good morning, channel partners. I'm wrapping up work at Continuum Navigate 2015 (Las Vegas), and then heading on to Strata+Hadoop World (New York). But before I hit the road, here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, gossip and plenty more to start your day.
Actually, today's update involves 11 items for VARs, managed services provides (MSPs) and cloud services providers (CSPs) to sip on.
10. Windows 10 Privacy: Does Microsoft's Windows 10 violate your privacy expectations? Aiming to mitigate potential customer concerns, Microsoft CTO Terry Myerson penned a blog that describes how Windows 10 handles privacy. Still concerned? Maybe you should just adopt former Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy's mindset when he uttered this timeless quote way back in 1999: "You have zero privacy anyway." On the other hand, read ChannelE2E's Privacy Statement and you'll see a very simply approach to a complicated topic.
9. The Martian on Opening Night?: Absolutely.
8. Fast Growth: Sources tell me Continuum's revenues are growing at nearly 40 percent annually -- a sign that MSPs are starting to consume a broader list of Continuum's outsourced services (RMM software, NOC services,. Continuum CEO Michael George respectfully declined to confirm the rumored growth rate, noting that the company is privately held.
7. Managed Security Service?: Juniper Networks has launched a range of security solutions designed for zero-day threat protection; better security management; and more. I'm curious to know if or how MSPs can offer the hardware and cloud services as part of a broader managed security bundle...
6. Opposite Day: Circle IT, a European IT service provider, apparently is downplaying its MSP services and opening its arms far wider to IT project engagements. ChannelE2E has already noted that top MSPs are getting back into product procurement and reselling. And Total Service Providers (TSPs) typically offer a blend of hardware, software and managed services...
5. The IoT Threat: The FBI is warning consumers that IP devices linked to "the Internet of Things" represent unlocked windows and doorways that prowlers can use to potentially gain access to your physical house or virtual world... I wonder when consumer security companies like Symantec and Intel Security will make some sort of IoT security platform play...
4. Media Isn't A Dirty Word: As print media struggled to shift to digital platforms, the very word "media" became a dirty word in some business circles. But not for all of us. As you may have suspected, ChannelE2E loves media. As does Axel Springer -- which just acquired Business Insider in a deal valued at $442 million. Long live media. Digital media, that is.
3. M&A Backlash: Before you celebrate the next big tech buyout, consider this... Investors seem to be getting frustrated with merger and acquisition deals that don't live up to the hype.
2. Big Data Lakes: The classic on-premises data warehousing market is shifting to the cloud, where so-called data lakes are storing a range of information for end-customers. Channel partners that can help customers gather, manage, optimize, safeguard and monetize all that data will be well-positioned for the next round of consulting and services profits. Keep a close eye on Microsoft Azure Data Lake... and similar emerging offerings from other public clouds...
1. Speaking of Azure: If you're still trying to understand Microsoft's public cloud strategy and the implications for channel partners, check out today's AzureCon online conference.
Gotta run. Continuum keynotes start soon.
Read Them All: ChannelE2E publishes its 5 Channel Partner Observations blog daily. Find all of the archived entries here. Subscribe: Want to receive ChannelE2E’s blog headlines, insights and updates in your inbox each business day? Then subscribe to our enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.