Podcast: ConnectWise CISO John Ford on Cybersecurity Risk Assessments
Good evening and welcome to the latest ChannelE2E podcast. Our guest is ConnectWise Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) John Ford.
We discuss risk assessment strategies for MSPs — including steps to safeguard MSP businesses as well as end-customer assets, leveraging the ConnectWise Identify tool. Ford also touches on two cybersecurity incidents that ConnectWise tackled earlier this year.
We recorded the podcast on June 19, 2019, a day before the ConnectWise IT Nation Explore 2019 conference started in Orlando, Florida.
Podcast: Listen Here:
Now, here’s the conversation:
What we covered:
- 0:00 – Intros and Overview.
- 0:27 – John, Joe and a quick update on hackers targeting MSP platforms.
- 3:00 – How ConnectWise is helping MSPs to lock down their own businesses, and why ConnectWise acquired Sienna Group in 2018.
- 4:55 – Where the NIST Cybersecurity Framework fits into risk assessments.
- 5:55 – How MSPs can leverage the ConnectWise Identify tool for risk assessments.
- 7:15 – How much time do risk assessments require?
- 8:10 – Quarterly business reports (QBRs) and risk assessments: Paid or free?
- 10:00 – What type of risk assessment talent will MSPs need to train or hire?
- 12:22 – ConnectWise CEO Jason Magee: The Cybersecurity Priority.
- 14:00 – Moving beyond anti-virus protection to advanced managed security services — rethink the conversation based on risk.
- 15:40 – Why ConnectWise invested in Perch Security.
- 15:55 – Where MSPs and partners can find more information.
- 17:00 – Thank you and conclusion.