ChannelE2E caught up with a range of MSP-centric technology companies at DattoCon17 this week in Denver. So what did we hear in the halls during Datto's annual conference? Here's a sampling of the chatter and conversations.
10. Talent Acquisition: So you have a bunch of jobs to fill. VAR Staffing has a process that may help. The company works with a range of MSPs I know. Among the latest talent pools they're addressing: Security professionals. “As modern MSPs review their team they have to not only make sure they have the capability to manage an increasing range of solutions but also SECURE them," notes Todd Billar, director of channel development. We'll share more thoughts about this soon.
9. Pax8: The cloud-centric value-added distributor launched back in 2012 -- perhaps before the market was ready for such a business model. Fast forward to present day and Pax8 has gained critical mass -- including 1,500 partners and 100 employees. Here's the growing lineup of solutions Pax8 offers to partners.
8. MyDigitalShield: It's been nearly a year since SpamSoap and Nuvotera veteran Leonard DiMiceli joined MyDigitalShield, a security as a service provider. MyDigitalShield CEO Andrew Bagrin, DiMiceli and the rest of the management team have quietly been working on... well... mum's the word for now. Stay tuned. PS: Well-known MSP industry veterans like Chris Johnson and Vault America CEO Zak Karsan are advisors to the company.
7. Got Budget?: There was more chatter about Vipre's recently release study about IT security spending. Alas, it sounds like some SMB businesses spend too much time focused on cost and too little time researching advanced security features...
6. Next AVG Moves: It has been nearly a year since Avast acquired AVG Technologies for $1.3 billion. The deal united two of the world's key anti-virus software providers. So what's next? Here's another example of mum's the word. But be sure to stay in touch with Project Management Lead Ryan Vallee...
5. Cybersecurity Know-How: RapidFire Tools reinforced its recently announced Detector Service Delivery System tool, which helps MSPs create, sell, and deliver branded internal cyber security services to all their clients.
4. Encryption for MSPs: You know the encryption challenge. The technology may be strong, but using it involves complicated installs and annoying steps that destroy the user experience. Bracket, an encryption technology from MailProtector, claims to change all that. Virtual Channel Chief Ted Roller showed me a video demo -- which later made its way to the main stage.
3. MSP Marketing, Sales Gurus: Need help promoting your MSP or development sales pipelines? Companies like TriDigital, MSP SEO Factory and Managed Sales Pros were on hand to help. That reminds me. I ran into Managed Sales Pros' Tracie Orisko during Ingram Micro TrustX Alliance in Orlando a couple weeks ago. Good coffee. Good conversation. Life/work stuff. I'll share more later.
2. PassPortal: CEO Colin Knox shared some business growth figures with me. They were big. But of course I lost my notes. Memo to self: Call Colin for the latest password management adoption metrics.
1. Building a $10 Million MSP: I ran into the CEO of a rather successful MSP. He mentioned his new business model going forward involves a march to $10 million in revenues. To achieve that goal he'll build toward 140 customers with a target of $8,000 of monthly recurring revenue per customer. Who is this CEO? I'll reveal his identity in a few days -- and more details about his company.
That's all for now...