Here are five (actually, far more…) technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Wednesday, September 11, 2019.
A. Our Daily Brew
- Who We Serve: Content for managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), IT consulting firms, systems integrators, VARs, independent software vendors (ISVs), and any other partner acronym that further caffeinates our already stellar SEO.
- Frequency: Every business morning.
- Reaching the Barista: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
B. Freshly Brewed News and Chatter
1. Never Forget: September 11, 2001.
2. M&A - Video Streaming Services: CenturyLink has acquired Streamroot to further boost the service provider's content delivery network. Financial terms were not disclosed.
3. Spin Out - Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI): Pythian has spun-out Tehama, a cloud-based provider of VDI services. Tehama's business strategy includes close working relationships with MSPs.
5. Microsoft Azure Cloud Cost Management: Binary Tree has launched PowerCI Cost Governance, which helps partners and customers to track Microsoft Azure cloud spending.
6. IBM Power on Microsoft Azure: Skytap is promoting new ways for legacy IBM Power applications to run on Microsoft Azure.
7. Gig Economy Under Pressure: The California Senate passed a bill that could force Uber and other gig economy giants to reclassify their workers as employees. Such a change would secure labor protections for thousands of people across the state and deal a significant blow to companies that built multi-billion dollar businesses on independent contractors, Bloomberg reports.
8. Financial Results - Zscaler: The cloud security specialist disclosed fourth-quarter results yesterday.
- Revenues were $86.1 million, up 53 percent from Q4 2018.
- GAAP net loss was $5.3 million, compared to $7.0 million in Q4 2018.
The figures generally beat Wall Street's expectations, but the company's stock fell about 15 percent amid a weaker-than-expected growth forecast.
9. Talent - Data Protection Part One: Druva has hired Clout Technology Partners and EnerNOC veteran Holly Cafiero as chief human resources officer (CHRO). The company has been in hiring mode. Earlier hires include Thomas Been as CMO.
11. Storage Management: Spectra Logic has launched StorCycle. The platform allows organizations to create a new Perpetual Tier of storage, reducing the overall cost of storing data by up to 70 percent, Spectra Logic claims.
C. Channel Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances: MSPs, CSPs, ISVs, VARs
2. MSP Lead Generation - Data Protection: Axcient has launched a lead generation program for its MSP partners. The service is available via the Axcient Marketing Portal.
3. Talent - Cloud Distribution: Pax8 has launched a Market Development team that includes:
- Samantha Nelson, Vice President of Channel Development;
- Jessica Maria, Vice President of Market Development;
- Danielle DeCosta, Vendor Success Manager; and
- Ryan Strouse, Program Manager.
Nelson and Maria report to Pax8 Chief Market Development Officer Andrew Pryfogle. DeCosta and Strouse report to Maria. Pax8 is a fast-growing cloud distributor that works closely with MSPs.
4. Supply Chain Optimization: Accenture and SAP are teaming to build capabilities for the SAP Recipe Development application. The effort helps process-industry companies — such as consumer goods, chemicals and life sciences businesses —optimize supply chains, streamline product development and reduce wasted resources, the companies assert.
D. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Taylor Business Group Big Big 2019 Conference (September 12-14, Chicago)
- Oracle OpenWorld 2019 (September 15-19, San Francisco)
- IT Glue GlueX 2019 (September 15-17, Phoenix)
- Pure Storage Accelerate 2019 (September 15-18, Austin, Texas)
- Cisco Contact Center Summit 2019 (September 17-19, Hollywood, Florida)
- Bonus: ChannelE2E’s complete event calendar
Got news to share for our morning update? Email me: [email protected].