20 RMM Software Tools, Alternatives for MSPs, VARs
As a managed services provider, you know the basics: You need RMM (remote monitoring and management), PSA (professional services automation), and other automation tools to boost customer service, drive down costs and increase your profit margins.
Here’s a look at 20 RMM software and cloud platforms that we’ve tracked over the years, along with some anecdotes about where they potentially fit in the MSP and IT services provider markets. As an added bonus, the list is actually 23 RMM providers. Oh, and don’t forget to check out our sister list of 20 PSA options and alternatives for MSPs.
Now, onto the RMM list sorted alphabetically:
1. Acorn Energy: File this under “one to watch.” Not exactly a mainstream RMM platform, Acorn owns a monitoring system for IoT endpoints, sensors, industrial devices and more. We suspect it will move toward the managed services market at some point…
2. Addigy: This is a cloud-based RMM platform for Apple Macs. Addigy, backed by former Kaseya team members, has a freemium model to help MSPs get started with the platform. Although Addigy is a relatively small company based in southern Florida, we watch the business closely because of the team’s extensive experience in and around the MSP market.
3. Atera: The upstart, launched in 2011, has been blending RMM, PSA and business intelligence software. The software platform was designed from the ground up as a single system — compared to many rivals, which built PSA-RMM integrations based on merger and acquisition activity.
4. Autotask Endpoint Management: After generating success in the PSA market, Autotask acquired CentraStage in 2014 to begin an RMM push. Fast forward to 2016, and Autotask has delivered a unified PSA-RMM platform, which basically means the data management systems are coming together for enhanced MSP performance.
5. Auvik Networks: This relatively new RMM platform focuses on the network layer. Poke around the company and its MSP ecosystem and you’ll see signs of growth. Plus, we heard rumors about a potential funding round — or perhaps even a takeover — in mid-2016./
6. AVG Managed Workplace: AVG Technologies acquired Managed Workplace, an RMM platform, from Level Platforms in 2013. Managed Workplace had reasonable market share heading into 2011 or so, but debt came due and Level Platforms essentially was forced to sell its assets in 2013. Under a new owner and intensified competition, Managed Workplace struggled to maintain momentum in 2014 and 2015, but a major upgrade — version 10 — arrived in 2016. Still, the latest inflection point involves Avasts’s $1.3 billion buyout of AVG. Avast CEO Vince Steckler tells us he’s committed to AVG’s SMB software market.
7. CA Technologies UIM: When CA Technologies acquired Nimsoft in 2010, it was part of a major push to engage midmarket MSPs. Originally an on-premises solution, CA and Nimsoft introduced a cloud version and ultimately rebranded the plartform to Unified Information Management. Fast forward to present day, and UIM has quietly built cloud monitoring momentum with MSPs. But frankly, the MSP market needs to hear more from CA on then UIM front.
8. ClearCenter: Certainly not your traditional RMM platform, ClearCenter is a hybrid IT management platform. CEO Michael Proper previously built a very successful MSP business. He now sees Hybrid Service Providers as the natural successors to MSPs and VARs. Trust us as we make the following statement: Keep a close eye on ClearCenter in 2017…
9. Comodo One RMM: This platform is positioned as a complete IT and Security Manager offering with built in RMM, service desk ticketing, and patch management — for free. So what’s the catch? Frankly, we’re still poking around for more details about the privately held company — which claims to have 1,000+ employees…
10. ConnectWise LabTech: ConnectWise sparked the march toward MSP suites when the company extended beyond its PSA roots and invested in LabTech Software in 2010. Fast forward to present day, and ConnectWise has reorganized into a single company that offers a range of MSP offerings — including the overall ConnectWise Business Suite and the LabTech RMM component. LabTech now has one of the MSP industry’s largest RMM installed bases.