eFolder, the storage and data protection company, continues to wrap one arm around its MSP relationships. But now, eFolder is extending the other arm around distributors. The reason? A major channel push to tap into VARs that service midmarket enterprises.
The journey started several months ago, when VP of Marketing Ted Hulsey described the past, present and future of eFolder. Within that conversation, Hulsey hinted that a two-tier distribution model was on the way. Fast forward to the present and eFolder is partnering with Lifeboat Distribution, an international specialty distributor for security, virtualization, network infrastructure, and other technically sophisticated products.
eFolder Distribution Deal
Lifeboat will distribute eFolder’s solution portfolio to their network of technology partners in the United States and Canada. I get the feeling similar moves, perhaps with other distributors, are coming on the international front.
Among the products and services eFolder will promote via LifeBoat, according to Hulsey:
- Anchor and Anchor private cloud SKUs. "Private cloud is interesting for larger organizations that may want to host their own sync solution behind their own firewall," he says.
- BDR for Veeam. "Lifeboat already distributes lots of Veeam software – VARs can now add a cloud backup service SKU specifically designed for Veeam deployments," he adds.
- One-, two- and three-year subscription SKUs as opposed to eFolder’s monthly/MRR approach with MSPs.
Cloud Storage, Data Protection Competition
eFolder isn't the only cloud backup and MSP-centric storage company diversifying its channel strategy. A few examples:
- Acronis has been lining up cloud service providers, telcos and hosting companies to embrace its software.
- Carbonite is moving up into the midmarket via M&A and new hires.
- Continuum is making similar moves with hosting providers.
- Datto is looking at four levers to improve revenue opportunities for itself and channel partners.
- And dozens of additional companies want a piece of the MSP data protection market.
We'll be watching for eFolder to potentially make additional distribution moves.