Private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners (MDP) has acquired Remote DBA Experts (RDX), an MSP that provides remote database administration (DBA) and cloud managed services. It sounds like additional tuck-in acquisitions are planned.
RDX CEO Buddy Flerl and the management team retain a "significant" ownership stake in the company. Ownership percentages and financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
RDX, based in Chicago, provides secure 24x7, 100 percent U.S.-based managed services to hundreds of customers across a wide range of database environments, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, IBM DB2, and MongoDB, the company says.
Cloud Migration Services, Future Plans
RDX, which has roughly 200 employees, also provides cloud migration and management services for Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, and Oracle DB Cloud environments, helping customers fully leverage the benefits of hybrid cloud architectures, the company adds.
MDP, meanwhile, is impressed with RDX's ability to migrate and manage customer databases and IT infrastructure in complex cloud environments, according to Managing Director Scott Pasquini.
Looking ahead, MDP will help RDX to move into adjacent managed services markets, both organically and through strategic transactions, according to Managing Director Zaid Alsikafi.
Private Equity Invades MSP, Database Partner Markets
The is the latest in a growing list of private equity firms investing in MSPs and IT solutions providers. Also, database partners focused on Oracle and Microsoft have been hot acquisition targets. Noteworthy deals include:
- Sentinel Capital Partners acquired UBEO Business Services, a provider of printer, copier, and related office equipment.
- Alvarez & Marsal Capital acquired a majority stake in CNSI, which specializes in healthcare IT management technology.
- Ardenton Capital Corp. invested in Achieve One, a fast-growing IT architecture and services organization.
- Abry Partners invested in NexusTek in a bid to build “the best Managed Services Provider in the West.”
- Datavail, a major Oracle channel partner and MSP focused on managed database services, acquired Art of BI, an Oracle analytics partner.
- Oracle Cloud solutions provider Evosys acquired Oracle Gold partner Newbury Taleo Group to boost the firm’s North American presence.