Amazon AWS re:Invent 2018
continues in Las Vegas. This ChannelE2E live blog covering the Amazon Web Services and enterprise cloud conference runs through November 30. Check back daily for updates.
Here are the developments so far:
41. Integrations: PagerDuty has launched new AWS integrations
for CloudWatch, GuardDuty, CloudTrail and the Personal Health Dashboard.
40. Satellite to Cloud Data Migrations:
Amazon has launched AWS Ground Station
, a new service that makes it easy and cost-effective for customers to download data from satellites into AWS Global Infrastructure Regions using a fully managed network of 12 ground station antennas located around the world, the company says. https://aws.amazon.com/ground-station
39. MSP - VMware Cloud on AWS:
Oracle partner Apps Associates plans to provide a managed services offering for VMware Cloud on AWS.
38. Migration Tools - VMware Cloud on AWS:
TDS's TransitionManager software platform is now available to customers of VMware Cloud on AWS.TransitionManager enables customers to accelerate their migrations to VMware Cloud on AWS, the company says.
37. AWS Container Security:
Multiple security companies announced support for Amazon's new AWS Marketplace for Containers. They include:
36. Data Preparation: Trifacta
- Alert Logic's threat management offering has achieved AWS Container Competency status. Alert Logic Network Intrusion Detection System (IDS) and log management for containers allows for real-time detection of known and unknown exploits that target applications running in containers on Docker, Kubernetes, and more, the company says.
- Aqua Security has achieved AWS Container Competency status. Early adopters include SOAR provider Demisto, which uses Aqua to secure its AWS containerized applications.
- Qualys has launched a container security solution on the new AWS Marketplace for Containers. Customers can now gain visibility and security of containerized applications running on AWS, Qualys claims.
- Sysdig Secure and Sysdig Monitor are a part of the newly launched AWS Marketplace for Containers.
has introduced a serverless data preparation service for AWS. It's base on Amazon Elastic MapReduce (Amazon EMR), a fully managed service allows organizations to deploy Trifacta while eliminating the need for customers to manage their own AWS infrastructure, the company says.
35. Big News -- AWS for On-Premises Data Centers:
Amazon has unveiled AWS Outposts -- which combines managed services, compute and storage racks for customers to run on-premises combination compute and storage racks. The offering essentially counters Microsoft's on-premises Azure Stack offerings. VMware is a key partner on the AWS Outposts offerings.
The global systems integrator has expanded its AWS relationship in multiple ways
33. Data Security & Compliance
32. Data Protection:
: Dataguise, which specializes in data privacy protection and compliance software, is promoting DgSecure
to enterprise administrators using Amazon Redshift, Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS), and Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3).
N2WS, a Veeam company, has launched N2WS Backup & Recovery v2.4
-- which allows AWS users to choose from different storage tiers and reduce costs for data being retained for longer terms.
31. Cloud Networking: Aviatrix has updated its AVX cloud router with an Orchestrator feature that helps enterprises to deploy and manage AWS Transit Gateway, a service that allows organizations to connect their Amazon Virtual Private Clouds (Amazon VPCs) and on-premises networks to a single gateway, the company says.
Continue to the next page for items 30 to 21 in our AWS re:Invent 2018 news list.
Welcome to items 30 to 21 in our AWS re:Invent 2018 news list.
30. Data Lakes:
Attunity has launched Data Lakes on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
. The offering is designed to support streaming real-time data from major enterprise databases, mainframes, and applications such as SAP, to accelerate near real-time analytics, machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) initiatives, the company claims.
is expanding its machine data analytics platform to include Grafana, an popular open source tool for analyzing metrics and time-series data. The goal: Consolidate monitoring, troubleshooting, and security into a unified platform.
28. Corporate Governance: Orkus
has launched Orkus Access Governance Platform, which enables enterprises to implement automated, continuous access governance for cloud across infrastructure, data and privileged identities, the company says.
27. Factory Migrations: Candid Partners
, an Advanced Consulting Partner in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partner Network (APN), is promoting the company's Volker Cloud Automation Platform
, a proprietary platform for automating factory-scale migrations for AWS.
26. Machine Learning Certification:
Amazon unveiled machine learning training and certification programs
for customers and partners.
25. Vulnerability Management: Tenable's
software for vulnerability management is now available for purchase on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Marketplace, the company says.
24. Machine Learning: Sumo Logic
is promoting its machine data analytics platform for AWS. The platform helps companies to speed digital transformation and cloud migration projects, the company claims.
23. Linux Security: CylancePROTECT
now supports AWS Linux instances, the security company has confirmed.
22. AWS and IT Outsourcing:
Digital consulting firm Virtusa Corp
. has signed a Strategic Collaboration Agreement (SCA) with AWS. Virtusa intends to provide enterprise customers with "transformative and sustainable benefits such as rationalization, technical debt elimination, automation, and modernization to reduce costs and increase velocity," the company asserts.
21. AWS and Data Protection: Cohesity
, which develops hyperconverged secondary storage, has launched AWS-oriented cloud-native backups, full lifecycle disaster recovery, and long-term data retention on a single platform. Details about Cohesity on AWS are here
Continue to the next page for items 20 to 11 in our AWS re:Invent 2018 news list.
Welcome to items 20 to 11 in our AWS re:Invent 2018 news list.
20. IoT Network: Hiber
previewed an IoT-connectivity network at the conference. The big twist? It leverages nano-satellites that will fly over the earth's poles 16 times a day.
19. AWS EC2 Instances:
Amazon has unveiled three new EC2 Instances -- including:
18. AWS Networking:
- A1 instances: Powered by custom-designed AWS Graviton processors for scale-out workloads.
- P3dn GPU instances: Ideal for distributed machine learning and high performance computing applications.
- C5n instances: Deliver increased network bandwidth for running advanced compute-intensive workloads, the company says.
Amazon announced two new networking enhancements:
17. AWS and IoT:
- Elastic Fabric Adapter (EPA): A network adapter for Amazon EC2 instances that delivers the performance of on-premises HPC clusters with AWS’s elasticity and scalability. the company says.
- AWS Global Accelerator: A fully managed service that uses AWS's global backbone and edge locations to improve the availability and performance of applications running in one or more AWS regions, the company says.
four capabilities designed to ease IoT application development, rollouts and management.
16. Top 100 Public Cloud MSPs:
Several of ChannelE2E's Top 100 Public Cloud MSPs
will be on-site promoting their services to customers. Key MSPs to track include Mission
, which was formed through the merger of Advanced Consulting Partners Reliam, Stratalux, and G2 Tech Group. The newly branded company emerged in October 2018 with a customer base spanning 175 enterprises. The company’s cloud operations professionals and solutions architects hold more than 90 AWS certifications. Key areas of expertise also include AWS Competency Partner status in DevOps, Healthcare, and Life Sciences.
15. AWS Cloud Migration Services:
Watch for numerous global systems integrators and IT consulting firms to promote their AWS migration services. For instance, TEKsystems Global Services
claims to have managed more than 100 cloud, application re-architecture, data warehouse migration and DevOps automation projects. Moreover, the company has moved more than 1,000 on-premises workloads to the cloud, TEKsystems said ahead of the event.
14. Managed DevOps Services: SolarWinds
will highlight new features for its SaaS-based DevOps portfolio consisting of Pingdom, AppOptics, Papertrail, and Loggly. Those tools were originally developed for IT professionals. But SolarWinds CEO Kevin Thompson has emphasized MSP software momentum
during recent earnings calls, and it's a safe bet some of those DevOps tools may eventually find their way into the SolarWinds MSP portfolio for partners.
13. AWS Marketplace vs. Distributors:
Watch for just about every enterprise IT software provider on the planet to describe how their latest applications and tools are available in the AWS Marketplace
, which increasingly competes against traditional IT distributors and next-generation cloud distributors.
12. Cloud Security:
On the one hand, watch for AWS-based security tools that protect data in any location (on-premises and across multiple clouds). On the other hand, watch for tools that specifically protect workloads on AWS.
11. AWS Partner Program:
AWS Channel Chief Terry Wise announced these partner program enhancements in 2017
. It's safe to expect an encore and more updates at the 2018 conference. We'll have the details...
Continue to the next page for items 10 to 1 in our AWS re:Invent 2018 news list.
Welcome to items 10 to 1 in our AWS re:Invent 2018 news list.
10. VMware Cloud on AWS Part One:
It's a safe bet VMware Cloud on AWS
will expand to new regions and potentially receive more price cuts as VMware and Amazon seek to offset moves by Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
9. VMware Cloud on AWS Part Two: Caveonix
now enables MSPs and MSSPs to offer its RiskForesight cyber risk and compliance management platform to VMware Cloud on AWS customers
8. AWS Data Protection: Druva CloudRanger
now supports automated disaster recovery, legal-hold, and file level search for Amazon Web Services (AWS) workloads, the company said today.
7. AWS Backup Cloud: CloudBerry Managed Backup
now offers advanced snapshot support for Amazon EC2 instances.
6. Hybrid Cloud Storage:
Pure Storage has launched Pure Storage Cloud Data Services, a suite of cloud offerings for Amazon Web Services (AWS). Details are here
5. AWS Cloud Monitoring
: Datadog has introduced end-to-end serverless monitoring
for AWS Lambda functions. The effort features integration with AWS X-Ray, which traces serverless calls while they run on AWS-operated infrastructure, the company says.
4. Serverless Computing:
Keep an eye on Amazon's Lambda service for more updates in this area...
Here, the news to watch likely involves a rumored managed version of the open source MongoDB database...
2. Predictive AWS Scaling:
Amazon's elastic compute cloud (EC2) now supports Predictive Scaling. Basically, machine learning boosts EC2's Auto Scaling technology with Predictive Scaling capabilities
. The system allows customers to scale AWS applications proactively, ahead of daily and weekly peaks, the company claims.
1. More AWS re:Invent 2018 News:
Got news to share at the conference? Email me the details: [email protected]
and we'll potentially mention the details in this live blog.