Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Wednesday, September 19, 2018.
Actually, there are 14 timely updates designed for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look:
14. CDW CEO Succession Plan: Tom Richards will step down as CDW's CEO on December 31, 2018, after nine years at the company. Richards will become executive chairman, serving in that role through at least 2019. Christine Leahy will become CEO, and Christina Corley will become COO.
13. IoT Remote Control & Security: Device Authority, a provider of Identity and Access Management (IAM) for the Internet of Things (IoT), has partnered with TeamViewer to improve the connectivity and security of IoT applications, devices and data, the companies say.
12. Partner Program: Rescale, has launched the Powered by Rescale program. The first partner is IBM. The program allows partners to provide turnkey high performance computing (HPC) in the cloud, Rescale says.
11. SMB Phishing Threats: Phishing is the top cybersecurity threat to small and midsize businesses, a new Webroot research report says.
10. Performance Monitoring: AppNeta Performance Manager now includes a new suite of physical and virtual monitoring points that scale from large data centers to small remote offices. This release also provides native support for the Azure Cloud and IBM Cloud platforms, automatic BGP analysis, active DNS monitoring, and optimization for SD-WAN deployments in the remote office, AppNeta asserts.
9. Capgemini and Amazon Web Services: Capgemini is launching a Group strategic initiative to aggressively expand its cloud capabilities with Amazon Web Services (AWS). We'll share more details soon.
8. IT Glue Integration: LionGard has introduced a Live-Tables integration with IT Glue, automating the updates of system configuration documentation for MSPs. The integration surfaced at IT Glue's GlueCon conference. Liongard’s mission is to extend the visibility of managed IT service providers by automating the flow of data to where MSPs need it most.
7. Dark Web Monitoring for MSPs: ID Agent, which develops Dark Web monitoring and identity theft protection solutions for channel partners, now integrates with RapidFire Tools Network Detective. The integration will allow MSPs that run Network Detective to assess and report to their clients and prospects whether data and credentials have been exposed via the dangerously untraceable “dark web," ID Agent says. Kaseya acquired RapidFire Tools earlier this month.
6. Midmarket MSP Platform: MSPWorx, a division of CareWorx Corp., has launched a midmarket MSP partner program that includes a custom version of ServiceNow for multi-tenant IT service management. Deeper details are here.
5. MSSP-to-MSP SOC Services: SolarWinds MSP has launched the SolarWinds Threat Monitoring Service Program. Read between the lines and SolarWinds essentially is seeking to empower MSSPs to offer threat monitoring and SOC services to smaller MSPs and end-customers. We'll share more details from the Empower MSP conference, hosted by SolarWinds MSP this week in Phoenix.
4. IT Services Breakup?: A major investor is pushing CTEK management to sell off the company's MPS (managed print services) business to focus on IT consulting and cybersecurity business. We'll share more details soon.
3. IT Services Franchises: TeamLogic IT has opened its latest franchise in Roseland, New Jersey. The franchise provides email management, networking services, backup and recovery, business continuity, cybersecurity, hardware and software, relocation services, project consultation and more. TeamLogic IT has more than 140 locations nationwide as well as international partners.
2. Microsoft vs. MSPs?: Microsoft has introduced Managed Desktop (MMD), a new service that combines Microsoft 365 Enterprise (Windows 10, Office 365, and Enterprise Mobility bundle), hardware leasing, and cloud-based device management. The service delivers secure, update, and maintained systems, all with software maintenance handled by Microsoft, the company says. Sounds like yet another piece of the MSP services sector floating off to a big company and a cloud service. But we're checking to see if there are MSP opportunities that align with MMD.