It's Monday evening. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to wind up your day on April 17, 2023.
What’s In Our Daily Mix?
- Who We Serve: Content for managed services providers (MSPs), IT service providers (ITSPs), cybersecurity consultants, technology solutions providers (TSPs), systems integrators, VARs, independent software vendors (ISVs), distributors and any other partner acronym that further energizes our already stellar SEO.
- Frequency: Every business day.
- Reaching me: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Today’s Technology and MSP Partner Program News
- Splunk gets AI-focused CTO: Cybersecurity and observability provider Splunk has appointed Min Wang as chief technology officer. She previously worked on artificial intelligence, machine learning, data analytics, and enterprise cloud at Google, Visa Research, HP Labs, and IBM Research.
- More details on how ConnectWise is leveraging OpenAI GPT: Managed service platform company ConnectWise has launched a core capability in the ConnectWise Asio platform -- AI-assisted PowerShell scripting -- across two products in its Unified Monitoring and Management (UMM) solution portfolio: ConnectWise Automate and ConnectWise RMM. Powered by ConnectWise's hosted instance of OpenAI GPT, this feature can be used to automate complex tasks and execute custom scripts or command tasks.
- Meanwhile, in Silicon Valley, attention to risks of AI: Alphabet and Google CEO Sundar Pichai told 60 Minutes that artificial intelligence technology should be regulated in order to avoid the potential for harm. Pichai deepfake videos as one of the risks of deploying AI too quickly. He said what keeps him up at night is “the urgency to work and deploy it in a beneficial way, but at the same time it can be very harmful if deployed wrongly.”
- And in the European Union: EU lawmakers are urging world leaders to hold a summit to find ways to control development of advanced AI systems such as Chat GPT, saying they are developing faster than expected, according to a Reuters report. The lawmakers called on U.S. president Joe Biden and European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen to convene the meeting.
- When will GPT5 arrive? Not soon, says OpenAI CEO: No need to worry about Chat GPT5, yet: So said OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, speaking virtually at an event at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Currently there is no GPT5 in training, he said, when asked about the recent open letter asking for a 6 month pause in development.
C. Technology Conferences for MSPs, IT Channel Partners and More
- RSA Conference (April 24-27, San Francisco)
- Kaseya Connect Global (April 24-27, Las Vegas)
- Channel Partners Conference & Expo (May 1-4, Las Vegas)
- Data Center World 2023 (May 8-11)
- Nutanix .Next 2023 (May 9-10)
- All Tech Conferences: Listed Here
- Add Your Annual Event To Our Calendar: Submit it here for consideration.