5 Channel Partner Updates: 27 Oct 2015
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, gossip and plenty more to start your day for Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2015.
Actually, today’s update involves 17 (yowzers) items for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs) and cloud services providers to sip on.
17. Tech Unicorn Warnings Grow Louder: Daily readers know that I’ve been skeptical of billion-dollar-startup valuations (i.e., Unicorns) for more than a year. And I’ve been hammering away at the point at least weekly. The latest warning comes from The Wall Street Journal, which again warms that a unicorn correction (or outright unicorn goring) will undermine peer companies and many of their service providers — as in cloud service providers.
16. Economic Slowdown?: Ummm… Sorry to start today’s blog off with two consecutive negative entries. But there are signs that major businesses across multiple vertical markets are preparing for an economic slowdown. Hmmm… That’s usually the perfect time to watch your rivals spend less — while you double down on new services developments.
15. OpenStack Certification: So, you want to build or manage OpenStack clouds? Perhaps it’s time to check out the new OpenStack certification for cloud administrators.
14. Same Vision, Better Execution?: IBM CEO Ginny Rometty says the company will eventually thrive based on its big data, cloud and mobility strategies. Hmmm… Hasn’t that been every major IT company’s strategic focus for the past five years? What she should really say is IBM’s success will depend on execution.
13. CompTIA Security Research: So, what’s the state of employee cybersecurity in 2015? Hmmm… Some of the stats from CompTIA’s new research are alarming.
12. Come Together: Continuum’s IT management platform for MSPs now includes integrated Webroot security right in the dashboard. This was a long-expected move, as Continuum and Webroot have been close working partners for quite some time now.
11. In-Depth Dell-EMC-VMware Analysis: Andreessen Horowitz, the major venture capital firm, has posted one of the most comprehensive looks at Dell’s $67 buyout of EMC and VMware. Somebody forgot to tell Andreessen Horowitz that long-form journalism and analysis are dead… Frankly, many media companies could learn a lot from the report.
10. Xerox Healthcare Isn’t Healthy: Something is wrong with Xerox’s healthcare business, amid government healthcare projects in California and Montana that apparently won’t be completed. Plus, the printer company’s services business saw revenues drop 8 percent, and overall quarterly revenue fell 10 percent. Now, CEO Ursula Burns says Xerox is undergoing a “strategic review” — though a sale of the company apparently isn’t being considered…
9. Security Startup: Keep a close eye on Cytegic, a security startup that seems to be leveraging data analysis as the foundation for its platform. The company is attracting funding… and customers, too.
More: See Items 8 through 1 — including Cisco’s IoT acquisition, another IT service provider acquired and more.