IT management, MSP, Content

Technology Research: IT Monitoring Sales, Market Forecast

The global IT infrastructure monitoring market will reach $34.1 billion in 2024, up from $19.24 billion in 2015. That's a 6.6 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR), according to Persistence Market Research.

IT monitoring software got its start as a way to improve system uptime, network and application performance, and the overall user experience. But more recently, the need for physical, virtual and cloud systems security has been driving demand for monitoring software.

Moreover, spending in the IT monitoring market has shifted from software ($6.1 billion in 2015) to monitoring services ($13.1 billion in 2015), Persistence says. Among end user segments, large enterprises represent 73 percent of IT monitoring spending, whereas SMEs represent  the remaining 27 percent for 2015.

Key players include Centreon, CA Technologies, Splunk, Nagios, AppDynamics, ScienceLogic, Zabbix, Spiceworks, Datadog, SevOne and PagerDuty, Persistence asserted.

ChannelE2E Says: The report largely overlooks MSP-oriented monitoring tools, commonly known as RMM (remote monitoring and management) software. The big players in the MSP-focused RMM market include Autotask, ConnectWise, Continuum, Kaseya and SolarWinds MSP -- though there are emerging players like Atera, Auvik Networks, and NinjaMSP.

Still, keep an eye on application performance management (APM) providers like AppDynamics, Dynatrace and New Relic. Increasingly, those toolsets are extending from corporate IT to MSPs, especially service providers focused on web-scale cloud monitoring. In a web-scale architecture, the monitoring tool automatically discovers cloud services as they spin up.

SolarWinds, by the way, is one of the few software firms focused on corporate IT monitoring, APM, and RMM for MSPs. Also, keep an eye on DataDog's expansion from infrastructure to APM, and New Relic's similar move from APM to infrastructure monitoring.

Complete Research: Global Market Study on IT Infrastructure Monitoring from Persistence Market Research.

More Technology Research: Track all Technology Market Research Summaries from ChannelE2E.

Joe Panettieri

Joe Panettieri is co-founder & editorial director of MSSP Alert and ChannelE2E, the two leading news & analysis sites for managed service providers in the cybersecurity market.