Channel partner programs, Midmarket, Mergers and Acquisitions

Carbonite CEO: Double-Take, EVault Deliver Midmarket Partner Synergies

Carbonite’s Mohamad Ali
Mohamad Ali

Amid Carbonite's buyout of Double-Take Software, CEO Mohamad Ali says there are clear SMB product and channel partner synergies between the two companies.

"As we've mentioned previously, we strive to make data more available, more useful and more secure, and now we are uniquely positioned to do so for the mid market," Mohamad said during a call with Wall Street analytics and media today. "Our roots are cloud backup and overtime we've layered on solutions that address serve backup, both direct to cloud and in hybrid form factors."

Indeed, Carbonite's 2015 buyout of EVault positioned the company for hybrid IT services and paved the way for on-premises backup appliances tied to EVault's cloud. Now, the Double-Take acquisition -- announced today -- takes Carbonite into the high availability market. The move also takes Carbonite a bit further upstream into both midmarket and enterprise accounts.

"Double-Take dramatically expands our solution offering for midsized businesses," Ali said. "Carbonite now offers customer a wide variety of solutions that protect data that resides on end points and servers; enables failover to a virtual instance of their infrastructure within hours or minutes; and provides continuous availability for mission critical systems with Double-Take Software."

Carbonite: Evolving Double-Take, EVault Channel Partner Ecosystems

Double-Take also brings a strong channel with more than 500 partners including resellers, he said. And for the first time, Carbonite now has access to global systems integrators that work with Fortune 500 companies.  Overall, Double-Take drives more than 90 of its business through the channel, Ali added.

No doubt, the EVault and Double-Take product lines are far different than Carbonite's original consumer cloud backup services. The average selling price for a Double-Take deployment is about $5,000, while Evault is closer to $10,000, Alis said. Roughly 80 percent of Double-Take's customers are SMB with the remaining 20 percent in the enterprise. Overall, Evault and Double-Take each have about 6000 customers and 500 partners. Ali expects to see clear cross-selling opportunities across those customer and partner bases.

Still, EVault certainly isn't alone in the market. Ali pointed to Zerto as an up-and-coming rival. And the overall MSP-focused backup market has certainly evolved to include security and networking components, ChannelE2E has noted.

Joe Panettieri

Joe Panettieri is co-founder & editorial director of MSSP Alert and ChannelE2E, the two leading news & analysis sites for managed service providers in the cybersecurity market.