Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) mergers, acquisitions and private equity deals have slowed down over the past year or so -- perhaps because of valuation questions or because of competitive concerns involving Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Salesforce Slack and Cisco WebEx, among others.
Still, some deals are getting done. The M&A activity typically involves UCaaS companies that offer cloud- and software-based solutions for collaboration, voice, video, and contact center as a service.
Here's ChannelE2E's UCaaS M&A deal list, which we update regularly.
31. October 2022: Crexendo acquired Allegiant Networks.
30. September 2022: SPAC and Digerati merge.
29. September 2022: Ooma acquired OnSip for small business unified communications.
28. June 2022: Cloudli Communications acquired ConnectMeVoice.
27. March 2022: Sangoma acquired NetFortis for UCaaS and MSP expertise. The deal's valuation was revealed.
26. January 2022: European technology distributor Nuvias UC acquired Alliance Technologies to further expand Zoom, Microsoft Teams and various unified communications partner opportunities in the DACH (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) market.
25. January 2022: UCaaS provider Inflow Communications acquired EPIC Connections, a contact center consultancy.
24. November 2021: 8x8 acquired Fuze.
23. November 2021: Ericsson acquired Vonage at a big valuation in order to control communication APIs.
22. November 2021: BCM One acquired CoreDial.
21. August 2021: Enreach acquired DSD Europe and its sister company CloudLand.
20. August 2021: Anexinet, backed by private equity firm Mill Point Capital, acquired Cisco partner Light Networks.
19. July 2021: Broadvoice acquired GoContact. The deal unites UCaaS and contact center as a service (CCaaS) capabilities.
18. July 2021: BCM One acquired Wholesale Carrier Services (WCS).
17. July 2021: Zoom acquire Five9 for cloud-based contact management software.
16. June 2021: Zoom acquired Kites for real-time language translation software.
15. June 2021: Unisys acquired Unify Square, a combination software company, MSP and Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) consulting company focused on Microsoft Teams and Zoom Video Communications. The price tag: $152.5 million.
14. February 2021: Sangoma acquired Star2Star for expanded UCaaS services worldwide.
13. January 2021: BCM One acquired SkySwitch to expand its UCaaS expertise.
12. December 2020: Crestline invested in Broadvoice to expand UCaaS and contact center as-a-service (CCaaS) markets.
10. August 2020: Intrado, backed by private equity firm Apollo, acquired ONSip for UCaaS capabilities.
8. February 2020: Sverica Capital Management acquired Cytracom, which promotes UCaaS to MSPs.
7. February 2020: Comcast acquired Blueface for UCaaS.
6. February 2020: Lingo Communications, a cloud & MSP focused on SMB unified communications, acquired selected customers from Blue Casa Telephone.
5. December 2019: BCM One acquired UCaaS provider Arena One. Private equity firm Thompson Street Capital Partners (TSCP) backs BCM One.
4. October 2019: Digerati Technologies, a UCaaS provider, acquired Miami-based Nexogy for cloud communication and broadband solutions.
3. October 2019: RingCentral invested in Avaya.
2. April 2018: Searchlight Capital Partners acquired Mitel and its ShoreTel business for $2 billion.
1. April 2018: Evolve IP acquired Cisco Broadsoft partner thevoicefactory, gaining UCaaS while extending the MSP & CSP deeper into Europe.
Among the additional players to watch: Intermedia, a big UCaaS player focused on MSP partners and backed by Madison Dearborn Partners since 2016. Intermedia canceled an IPO in early 2021, which may indicate that the UCaaS provider is seeking a buyer, ChannelE2E believes.