Here five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Monday, April 8, 2019.
Actually, there are 11 timely updates designed for managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), IT consulting firms, systems integrators, VARs, independent software vendors (ISVs), and telco agents to sip on.
11. Expansion - Data Protection: Datto has opened a new office in East Greenbush, New York. The location is home to 165 of Datto's 1,500 employees. The location has roots stretching back to the former Autotask, which merged with Datto in 2017.
10. Microsoft Closing HealthVault: Microsoft is dropping its HealthVault patient records-management service, ZDnet reports The service will be shut down on November 20 and any data residing in the service will be deleted after that date. HealthVault was one of the last pieces left of Microsoft's original foray into first-part health services products, the report notes.
9. Layoff Concerns: More than 60,000 workers were laid off in March, topping off the worst quarter for job cuts since 2015, outplacement firm Challenger, Gary & Christmas reported, according to UPI.
8. SBA Leader: U.S. Treasurer Jovita Carranza is President Trump's pick to succeed Linda McMahon as Small Business Administration chief, PBS reports. Before serving as U.S. treasurer, Carranza was a deputy administrator of the SBA during George W. Bush’s presidency, the report notes.
7. IPO - Pinterest Down Round?: The owners of Pinterest appear to be taking a cautious approach to their company's IPO following Lyft's bumpy first week as a public company, SeekingAlpha reports. Launching its investor roadshow today, the online image website priced shares at $15 to $17, significantly below its last funding round, which sold stock at $21.54 and gave Pinterest a valuation of $12 billion, SeekingAlpha added. The firm is set to begin trading on the NYSE this month under the symbol PINS. The company is not profitable.
6. Funding - Apple Device Management: Fleetsmith, a provider of automated Apple device management software, has raised $30 million in Series B funding led by Menlo Ventures with participation from Tiger Global Management, Upfront Ventures, and Harrison Metal.
5. Private Equity - IT Solutions Provider: Baring Private Equity Asia will acquire 56 percent stake in NIIT Technologies Ltd, an IT solutions provider with 10,000 employees worldwide, according to media reports. NIIT Technologies, in turn, is acquiring WhishWorks IT Consulting, which specializes in MuleSoft and Big Data technologies. Meanwhile, Baring already has a controlling interest in Hexaware Technologies Ltd.
4. Private Equity - IT Solutions Integrator: CD&R, a private equity firm, has acquired a majority stake in Sirius Computer Solutions, a $3.5 billion IT solutions integrator.
3. M&A - Accenture Buys Digital Agency: Accenture has acquired Shackleton. It's the latest in Accenture's growing list of digital agency acquisitions worldwide.
2. Breakup - IT Services: Cask Technologies has split into two businesses -- one focused on ServiceNow consulting, the other focused on government and cybersecurity services.
1. Top 100 Vertical Market MSPs 2019: We’ll unveil the complete list — yes, all honorees — and associated research during our April webcast. Register now to join us.