Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Friday, August 3, 2018.
Actually, there are eight timely updates designed for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look:
8. Momentum - Business Continuity: Carbonite's Q2 2018 revenue surged 32 percent to $77.7 million compared to Q2 2017. The revenues were slightly below Wall Street's expectations but CEO Mohamad Ali says he's pleased with the company's performance, the recent Mozy acquisition and a July equity offering that strengthened the company's balanced sheet. I often think Private Equity will step in and buy Carbonite, but Ali keeps proving me wrong and the company (so far) remains a buyer rather than seller in the M&A market...
7. Symantec Layoffs: The security company is cutting 8 percent of its staff amid a weaker-than-expected revenue forecast. Moreover, an internal investigation involving Symantec's finances continues...
6. Funding - Platform as a Service: Blueware, which focuses on Platform-as-a-Service capabilities, has scored funding from EV Private Equity and Shell Ventures.
5. M&A - IoT Monitoring: Arm has acquired Treasure Data to accelerate the company's device-to-date IoT platform push. Treasure Data's technology deals with data from any source - CRM, ecommerce systems, edge, IoT devices, and any third-party data. The result for customers is an ability to derive meaningful and actionable insights from any disparate data mix, Arm says. Keep an eye on the Arm Pelion IoT Platform -- which enables IoT device management, connectivity management and data management.
4. MSP Rebrands for Security: Entegra Technologies has rebranded as Vericlave. The MSP says the new name better reflects its focus on cybersecurity solutions that protect critical assets from threats before they happen. It's the latest example of an MSP doubling down on the security sector -- a trend we cover daily on MSSP Alert.
3. MSPs and MSSPs -- Prime Opportunity: During next week's Black Hat USA 2018 conference in Las Vegas, only Webroot is presenting a security-focused session for MSPs in the SMB sector. CTO Hal Lonas is leading the session on Thursday, August 9, at 12:10. Smart move by Webroot. Missed opportunity for rivals and MSPs that overlooked Black Hat -- one of the best conferences in the world for tracking security trends and MSSP-centric developments.
1. Private Equity Bubble?: Is there a private equity bubble? This article from Fortune suggests no. I'm not so sure... I'll share more thoughts soon.