5 Channel Partner Updates: 23 March 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to sip on for Wednesday, March 23, 2016.
Actually, there are 15 entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs) and independent software vendors (ISVs) to sip on.
15. The Next Cloud for MSPs?: Keep a really close eye on Domo, a startup that has built a business-centric cloud an app store. The goal is to create an “ecosystem of business management apps for the Domo Appstore.” Buzz around the company is extremely positive, though I have not kicked the tires on the app store. PS: Yes there’s a Domo App Partner Program… More thoughts soon…
14. Autotask Workplace: Senior VP Len DiCostanzo is pushing beyond traditional MSP conversations, and training the company’s partner base to consume and resell Autotask Workplace, the file sync and sharing service acquired as part of the SoonR acquisition. Both Autotask and eFolder promote channel-centric alternatives to Box and Dropbox. Datto will be joining the competition soon with its own Datto Drive offering, ChannelE2E has confirmed.
13. Autotask Help Wanted: The company is hiring. Check the ChannelE2E Job Board for some of the latest career opportunities at Autotask and other channel-friendly companies. You can post to the job board for free, though ChannelE2E reserves the right to review all submissions prior to potential publication.
12. Partner Program Updates:
- AppSense, which LANDESK recently acquired, has expanded its global AppSense Partner Program. The company focuses on user environment management — a fancy way of saying this is more than a desktop-as-a-service play.
- Nuspire Networks, a managed security service provider (MSSP), has launched the NuSecure Partner Program.
- Hundreds of Channel Partner Programs: Visit the ChannelE2E Partner Program Database to search and find key partner programs from hundreds of vendors.
11. How to Configure ConnectWise: Deploying a PSA (professional services automation) system can be a tricky, complicated task. ConnectWise Consulting Services can assist with their PSA platform’s deployment and/or optimization. But a boutique industry of ConnectWise deployment and optimization specialists could finally be emerging. The latest example involves Don Bentz, a former MSP and known ConnectWise expert, joining Visionary 360 — which specializes in such deployments.
10. In a Buying Mood?: Is LogicNow set to make more acquisitions? Hmmm… It wouldn’t be fair for me to speculate without having some sort of proof or evidence. But then again, sometimes a hunch is just a hunch… or more… Wink, wink. For those who haven’t been keeping score, the company recently acquired a Mac OS management platform and a multi-layer security system that can put a dollar figure on potential customer risks and exposures.
9. NinjaMSP: They’re in serious growth mode. I’d tell you more but that would mean burning a few sources. And you know I don’t do that. Read some of our recent coverage of NinjaMSP and you might find some clues about next moves…
8. RMM Integration: That’s the next move for Passportal. But you didn’t hear it from me… (Actually, you did.) But even before the integration(s) potentially arrive, the password management platform seems to have reached a tipping point with MSPs.
7. Oracle Sues HP Enterprise: The long-running cat fight between Oracle and Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) has clawed its way back into the court system. Indeed, Oracle has sued HPE, alleging that the company helped a partner to illegally sell support for Solaris. A few years back, the former Hewlett Packard Co. sued Oracle for failing to support HP’s high-end servers, alleging that the lack of support undermined HP’s business.
6. Help Desk Guru: Oracle veteran Ray Cappola has joined Continuum as VP of Help Desk. It’s’ the latest sign that Continuum continues to hire enterprise automation experts to drive IT service management into the small business market for MSPs. Indeed, MSPs white label Continuum’s Help Desk to support more than 50,000 users within SMB companies.
5. DaaS Mergers, Acquisitions: Several desktop as a service (DaaS) and workspace as a service (WaaS) providers have attracted takeover interest in recent weeks, ChannelE2E has learned. The DaaS and WaaS players typically sell through MSPs. I’m not suggesting any of the businesses are “up for sale.” But as my dad always told me: “Everything is for sale. It’s just a matter of discussing the price.” And in this case, potential suitors are poking around at least three DaaS and WaaS players, we’ve confirmed…
4. Managed Data as a Service: Broadridge Financial Solutions has hired several additional pros to build out Managed Data Services for the financial services vertical. So far, 28 customers have signed up for the service.
3. Office 365 for Nonprofits: Keep a watchful eye on Microsoft’s Office 365 strategy for nonprofit customers… Just sayin’.
2. ConnectWise’s Next IT Nation Move: You already know about ConnectWise IT Nation 2016 and ConnectWise IT Nation 2017, both of which occur late in the year in Orlando, Florida. But keep you eyes on the IT Nation conference brand. Something new is brewing…
1. Top MSPs — Get Honored: A reminder — we’re set to honor the world’s Top Vertical Market MSPs. For consideration please complete our ChannelE2E Top Vertical Market Survey. We’ll share results and celebrate the honorees in Q2 2016.