5 Channel Partner Updates: 12 May 2017
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Friday, May 12, 2017.
Actually, there are 10 updates for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
10. U.S. Cybersecurity Executive Order: President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Thursday to bolster the government’s cybersecurity and protect critical infrastructure from cyber attacks, marking his first significant action to address what he has called a top priority, according to Reuters. The directive largely favorable reviews from cyber experts and industry groups, the report said.
9. Cisco Acquisition: Cisco is acquiring MindMeld Inc., a privately held artificial intelligence (AI) company based in San Francisco. MindMeld develops an AI platform that enables customers to build intelligent and human-like conversational interfaces for any application or device, the networking giant claims. The acquisition, which will cost Cisco $125 million in cash and equity awards, is expected to close in mid-2017.
8. 5G Networks: Sprint is the latest telecom giant to announce vague 5G network plans. AT&T and Verizon each made similarly vague statements in recent weeks. The key takeaway: 5G is the future of wireless networks — but nobody truly knows when they’ll arrive in a major way. Still there are signs of progress. Samsung, Cisco and Verizon have completed a 5G trial in Michigan, ZDnet notes.
7. Windows 10 Embraces iOS, Android: Microsoft is finally showing lots of love to Apple iOS and Google Android. Amid a mixed operating system world, Windows 10 this fall will finally gain more features that vastly improve data sharing, syncing and more with iOS and Android.
6. AWS Cloud Backup: N2W Software, which develops a cloud-native backup and disaster recovery platform for Amazon Web Services (AWS), has extended its Cloud Protection Manager (CPM) solution to GovCloud.
5. Cloud Expansion: Orange, the French IT service provider giant, is rolling out public cloud services in the APAC region and plans to grow its workforce in Malaysia by 70 percent, ComputerWeekly reported.
3. M&A – IT Security Consulting: F-Secure has acquired Digital Assurance – a UK based security consultancy firm offering information security assessment services to governments and companies in the financial, petrochemical, retail, communication, and defense industries.
2. Datto Makes Strategic Hire: Rumor has it Datto has made another strategic hire. The chatter suggests this person will perhaps focus on Datto’s recently acquired networking assets. The new face could surface at DattoCon17 in June — or perhaps much, much sooner. The business continuity company acquired Open Mesh Networks and launched a related Unified Threat Management (UTM) wireless networking device in January 2017. Among the goals: Empowering Datto MSPs with total data protection solutions — while perhaps even competing against Cisco Meraki in the midmarket. ChannelE2E suspects this new Datto hire is aligned with those goals. Stay tuned for more details…
1. Channel Partner Programs Database: More than 150 companies are now listed in the ChannelE2E Partner Programs Database. Surely, your company’s partner program should be listed, too.