Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Wednesday, May 16, 2018.
Actually, there are 13 timely updates designed for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
11. Veritas Layoffs: The company is cutting 50 senior roles as CEO Greg Hughes transitions Veritas to a new operating model, according to Silicon Valley Business Journal.
10. Dell EMC Fined: Dell EMC must pay more than $2.9 million in back wages after allegedly paying female workers in Santa Clara, Pleasanton and North Carolina less than men, The Mercury News reports.
9. Virtualization Software: Red Hat Virtualization 4.2, the newest release of its Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) software, is now available. It features a simplified user interface and new capabilities around virtual networking, the company says.
8. 5G Wireless: Verizon plans to deploy 5G technology in Los Angeles starting in the fourth quarter of 2018. Los Angeles is the second city Verizon has identified as part of its 5G deployment plans, first announced in November 2017. The company previously announced Sacramento would be a 5G city.
7. Federal CIOs: President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Tuesday designed to improve U.S. government information technology by strengthening the role of chief information officers at federal agencies, Reuters says.
6. Managed Kubernetes Services: Rackspace has unveiled Kubernetes-as-a-Service across multiple public and private cloud platforms. The goal: Assist customers' multi-cloud strategies, modernize application development and accelerate time to market, while providing significant cost savings, Rackspace says. This is the latest in a growing list of Rackspace managed services that may pave the way for a company IPO.
5. Managed Data Recovery Services: ServerCentral has unveiled Recover Anywhere managed service powered by Veeam Backup & Replication. Customers can restore data on-demand to their on-premise infrastructure, a ServerCentral Enterprise or Private Cloud, a Managed Amazon Web Services (AWS) solution, or another other cloud provider, the company says.
4. Data Availability: Veeam has unveiled a vision for "the hyper-available enterprise," essentially reinforcing the company's overall go-to-market strategy to push deeper into Fortune 500 accounts.
3. M&A - AI: 8x8 has acquired MarianaIQ (MIQ) in a bid to improve AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities for enterprise communications.
2. M&A - Government IT Services: SAP National Security Services (SAP NS2), a provider of software and support services for U.S. national security and critical infrastructure customers, has acquired Technology Management Associates (TMA), a government solutions provider. We'll share more details later today.
1. IT Service Management Conference: PinkForum18, the well-known IT service management conference, is confirmed for August in Arizona.