Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Wednesday, February 8, 2017.
Actually, there are 21 timely entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
21. Startups vs. President Trump: More than 200 startups and investors have launched an open letter to President Donald Trump. The letter pushes back against Trump’s “morally and economically misguided actions” on immigration.
20. End Outsourcing Act: Three Senate Democrats have introduced the “End Outsourcing Act,” which seeks to support American workers by ending outsourcing. Um… We’ll definitely share more thoughts on this really soon.
19. Hillary Clinton and Datto Backup: Hillary Clinton’s personal email server continues to generate headlines from time to time. The latest: The FBI has recovered approximately 10,000 messages from a Datto backup device. The messages were turned over to the State Department to be processed and released at some point on its website, Liberty News Now reported.
18. Entrepreneurial Encore:Juniper founder Pradeep Sindhu and former Apple OS X engineer Bertrand Serlet have launched Fungible, which focuses on next-generation technologies for cloud data centers…
17. Talent – Automation:Puppet has hired HPE veteran Omri Gazitt as chief product officer and EMC veteran Sandra Hamilton as VP of customer success. Puppet develops automation tools for DevOps teams and IT service providers.
16. Talent – SolarWinds:SolarWinds has named Darren Beck as CMO; Chris Benwell, senior vice president (SVP), North American commercial sales; and David Cronk, SVP, international sales. Those moves — along with several others — reinforce a talent grab to accelerate SolarWinds’s corporate IT- and MSP-focused business initiatives. The name to know on the MSP front: John Pagliuca.
15. Cisco Clock Malfunction?: A Cisco equipment flaw will allegedly cost partners “millions to fix” according to CRN. Hmmm…
14. PSA Cloud Platform:Krow Software has launched the Industry Cloud for Professional Services, a “unified solution for professional services automation.” The cloud platform allows MSPs, IT consultants and professional services firms to manage opportunities, services, projects, resource planning and staffing, time & expense, billing, project accounting, revenue recognition, communities, and analytics, in one unified solution. The offering includes Service CPQ (Configure Price Quote) and Recruiting — to help recruit talent. Krow PSA is integrated with Salesforce.com, and competes most directly against FinancialForce.
13. IoT & Privacy Fine: Smart television manufacturer and retailer Vizio has agreed to pay $2.2 million to the FTC, according to New Jersey Law Journal. The payment settles charges of unfair tracking, deceptive omission and deceptive representation, the journal says. The FTC had alleged the company’s smart television sets were illegally tracking viewer watching habits. The FTC has been cracking down on IoT device makers for alleged privacy issues and/or security holes that threaten consumers.
11. Office 365 Backup:Acronis Backup 12 now supports Office 365 along with backup services for “all data, local and in the cloud.” The platform offers automatic backup of Microsoft Office 365 emails, including contacts, calendars, tasks, and attachments. Most of the major backup and disaster recovery (BDR) platforms now offer Office 365 and Google G Suite backup services.
But wait. More content awaits you on page 2. Proceed to page two now and sip up the remaining items…