5 Channel Partner Updates: 16 August 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Tuesday, August 16, 2016.
Actually, there are 12 entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs) and independent software vendors (ISVs) and telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
12. Hello, Dell Technologies: Chinese regulators are expected to approve Dell’s buyout of EMC this week, essentially paving the way for the two companies to unite as Dell Technologies. The deal is expected to be official before January 2017 — but we’re betting the finalized deal happens much, much, much sooner than that…
11. European Cloud & App Regulations: What if telecom-centric compliance rules applied to cloud and app providers in Europe? That’s the emerging scenario for Google, Microsoft, Facebook and other app providers. Telco-oriented regulations could undermine encryption and other technologies that are already popular in cloud and mobile apps. We’ll share more details today…
10. Upcoming IPOs?: Nutanix is exploring a potential IPO road show that could kick off in September, and Dropbox is mulling a potential IPO for 2017, according to multiple media reports. Nutanix focuses on hyperconverged data centers — working closely with such companies as Lenovo in the channel. Dropbox has a growing channel partner program in the file sync and sharing market, despite entrenched rivals like Box and channel alternatives like Autotask Workplace, Datto Drive and eFolder Anchor.
8. Rise of SMB Clouds: How do Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure pave the way for SMB business growth? In a research report, Pacific Crest Securities describes how SMB-centric software companies — HubSpot, Zendesk, Shopify, etc. — leverage public clouds to bring enterprise-class products to the SMB masses. In many ways, Pacific Crest is stating the obvious. But it’s a healthy reminder that cloud levels the playing field just as much as it disrupts traditional IT.
6. WorkDay Embraces IBM Cloud: WorkDay has inked a seven-year deal to leverage IBM’s cloud as the company’s primary development and testing platform. We speculated about the deal in our IBM cloud coverage yesterday.
5. Ransomware and Google Drive: Ah, ransomware — the nasty topic that never seems to fade away. The latest chatter involves Ransomware locking up files on Google Drive — proof that this is more than an on-premises data problem…
3. Managed Security Services: ControlScan, a managed security service provider (MSSP) has introduced a managed SIEM service for LogRhythm’s Security Intelligence Platform. SIEM (Security Information and Event Management) helps organizations address the barrage of cybersecurity threats hitting their IT environment on a daily basis. ControlScan says a properly-managed LogRhythm SIEM performs this process by collecting security and event log data in real time, then correlating it for meaningful alerts and analysis.
2. Partner Programs: Recent milestones include:
- PlanetOne Communications is now a Verizon Partner Program Platinum member. The relationship broadens PlanetOne’s global carrier portfolio and ushers in new opportunities for channel partners selling and supporting smart devices and providing secure, wireless Internet of Things (IoT) connections and business intelligence to customers worldwide, PlanetOne asserts.
- Ooma, which develops a ‘smart’ communications platform for small businesses and consumers, has unveiled a new Ooma Office Partner Program — which is designed for VARs and resellers.
- VeloCloud Networks Inc., which specializes in Cloud-Delivered SD-WAN solutions, has expanded its partner program amid a major push in Europe and Asia. VeloCloud has a 100-percent channel-centric sales model.
2. Who Buys Small Businesses?: The pool of potential small business buyers is changing — according to the latest Market Pulse quarterly report from the IBBA, M&A Source and Pepperdine. Take a look.
1. Channel Partner Events: Check ChannelE2E’s Technology Event Calendar for the world’s most comprehensive list of partner summits and conferences in 2016, 2017 and beyond.