Podcast: NinjaRMM’s Jonathan Crowe on MSP Security
Good evening and welcome to the latest ChannelE2E podcast. Our guest is Jonathan Crowe, director of content and brand strategy at NinjaRMM.
In our conversation, we discuss:
- the evolving cybersecurity landscape, and the implications for MSPs (managed IT services providers);
- how hackers are now targeting MSP networks for attack;
- the alphabet soup of acronyms that MSPs must master — especially as service providers extend beyond traditional anti-virus software; and
- the role RMM (remote monitoring and management) software plays in an overall MSP cyber strategy.
Now, here’s the conversation…
Podcast – Listen Here:
The conversation covers:
- 0:00 – Overview and Introductions.
- 0:39 – Why hackers target MSP networks.
- 2:00 – The evolution of ransomware.
- 3:22 – How attackers are getting smarter.
- 4:08 – Why MSPs represent the “best of both worlds” for hacker targets.
- 4:44 – Swimming in the acronym soup of MSP security.
- 5:28 – Why MSPs should focus on the endpoint.
- 6:00 – NinjaRMM’s survey results: MSPs and Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR).
- 7:48 – Understanding what you’re trying to accomplish.
- 8:55 – Aligning security with proper business management and RMM (remote monitoring and management) platforms.
- 10:58 – RMM and security integrations.
- 11:40 – A closer look at EDR — endpoint detection and response explained.
- 13:00 – EDR vs. traditional anti-virus explained.
- 13;52 – MSP security priorities, according to NinjaRMM survey, and first-steps with EDR.
- 16:25 – Managed Detection and Response – key perspectives.
- 17:56 – Two factor authentication, RMM and MSP security – key perspectives.
- 20:43 – MSPs and password policies.
- 21:40 – Online resources from NinjaRMM.
- 23:13 – End
More Cybersecurity Resources for MSPs
During the podcast, Crowe mentioned a range of online content and research findings that MSPs can read online. The lineup includes: