Here are five (actually, a bit more…) technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Tuesday, January 14, 2020. Sip up.
Our Daily Brew
- Who We Serve: Content for managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), IT consulting firms, systems integrators, VARs, independent software vendors (ISVs), and any other partner acronym that further caffeinates our already stellar SEO.
- Frequency: Every business morning.
- Reaching the Barista: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. What’s Hot Today
2. M&A - IT Monitoring: LogicMonitor has acquired Unomaly, an AIOps company in Stockholm, Sweden. MSPs that run LogicMonitor's software will gain new ways to automatically track and correct infrastructure issues -- thereby improving end-customer experience (CX), the company says. Private equity firm Vista Equity Partners owns LogicMonitor.
3. PC Sales and Market Share: PC shipments rose about 2.3 percent in 4Q 2019 as customers raced to shift from Windows 7 to Windows 10 machines. Microsoft is phasing out Windows 7 support this week. Lenovo, HP Inc. and Dell control roughly two-thirds of the PC market, according to the latest IDC and Gartner figures.
4. Cloud Management: Zyxel has redesigned its Nebula Cloud Networking Solution to better serve MSPs and end-customers, the company says.
5. Talent - Unified Communications: Mitel has hired Poly veteran Tarun Loomba as executive VP of unified communications products and solutions.
6. Talent - AWS and Oracle Cloud: AWS veteran Ariel Kelman has joined Oracle as chief marketing officer, CNBC reports. Kelman had been vice president of worldwide marketing for AWS. Amid Kelman's departure, Amazon has named engineering veteran Matt Garman to oversee the cloud unit's sales and marketing teams.
- Lusiné Yeghiazaryan, VP internal audit, CAE (chief audit executive) at GoPro
- Wendy M. Pfeiffer, CIO of Nutanix and independent director at Qualy.
9. Talent - Big Data: Cloudera has named Robert Bearden as president and CEO. Bearden is a familiar name to Cloudera customers, partners and employees. He co-founded Hortonworks, which merged with Cloudera in 2019.
10. Talent - Process Automation: Nintex has hired SAP Concur veteran Ben Brewer as chief revenue officer.
11. Pentagon JEDI Cloud Contract: Amazon will ask a judge to temporarily block Microsoft from working on a $10 billion cloud contract from the Pentagon, Reuters reports. Amazon, which was seen as a favorite for the contract, plans to file a motion for a temporary restraining order on Jan. 24 and a federal court will issue its decision on Feb. 11, according to the filing.
B. Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. MSP Conference: Auvik Networks, which develops network monitoring and management tools for MSPs, has kicked off its Frankly MSP conference in California. Here's what MSPs might expect at the conference.
2. Funding and Distribution: Chicago-based Invoiced and San Francisco-based Balbix have earned regional honors, and are one step closer to potentially winning the $1 million cash in Ingram Micro's Comet Competition. The competition provides aspiring local independent software vendors (ISVs) and startups access to a wider global audience. Runners-up from Chicago are Morpheus Data, Coreview and Cyglass, and from San Francisco, Blue Hexagon, Air Slate and Nerdio. Each runner-up receives $50,000 in funding and free entry to Ingram Micro’s Cloud Summit in May 2020.
3. Distribution - Network Test Equipment: Ingram Micro in the U.S. has agreed to distribute certain VIAVI test instruments for fiber and cable networks, and performance management solutions for enterprise networks.
C. Upcoming Technology Conferences
- TruMethods Schnizzfest 2020 (January 19-21, Orlando, Florida)
- SMB TechFest Q1 (January 22-23, Southern California)
- Avaya Engage 2020 (February 2-5, Phoenix, Arizona)
- IoT Evolution (February 12-14, Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
- Top 50 Technology Events in 2020 for Partners
- Bonus: ChannelE2E’s complete event calendar
Got news to share for our morning update? Email me: [email protected].