Vaccine Passport Policies and Technology Conferences: United States, Europe, Asia and More
Welcome to page two of our vaccine passport updates from various countries, states and organizations. Updates sorted alphabetically.
Georgia (United States:): Governor Brian Kemp signed an executive prohibiting state agencies, state service providers, and state properties from requiring COVID-19 vaccine passports. Source: Clayton News Daily, May 25, 2021.
Hawaii (United States): Multiple updates…
- Governor David Ige said state os looking into piloting a possible safe travels vaccine passport. Source: Khon2, April 5, 2021.
- Governor Ige’s latest emergency proclamation for COVID-19 includes detailed plans for a vaccine passport provision. The proclamation said those who are fully vaccinated would be able to avoid quarantine and COVID-19 testing when flying to Hawaii by uploading valid vaccination documents to Safe Travels. The vaccine passport provision will go into effect only if it is approved by the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency. Ige did not provide a timeline for when this will become available. Source: Honolulu Civil Beat, April 10, 2021.
- Hawaii residents traveling inter-island may be the first users in the state of a so-called vaccine passport program that is expected to rollout in the next several weeks. Source: Honolulu Civil Beat, April 19, 2021.
- Governor David Ige expects vaccine passport to expand to all U.S. visitors by summer 2021. Starting May 11 travelers with proof of full vaccination against Covid-19 will be able to travel between Hawaiian islands without testing or quarantine restrictions, but only if they were vaccinated within the Aloha State. Source: Travel Weekly, April 26, 2021.
- Hawaii’s vaccine passport program for inter-island travel has begun. Source: U.S. News & World Report, May 11, 2021.
- Starting July 8, Hawaii will allow travelers vaccinated on the mainland to skip quarantine without getting a COVID test ― in a major step toward fully reopening the state. Source: Hawaii News Now, June 24, 2021.
Hungary: The country will pursue bilateral agreements recognizing COVID-19 vaccine certificates that would allow citizens to travel among participating countries, the prime minister’s chief of staff said. Source: Reuters, April 29, 2021.
Illinois (United States): Chicago’s top doctor says the city is moving closer to announcing a bigger reopening plan, and a vaccine passport is likely to be part of it. The “Vax Pass” would give those who are fully vaccinated access to summer events in the city. Source: ABC Affiliate, April 27, 2021.
India: Vaccine passports will be disadvantageous for people of the developing countries as their vaccine coverage is far less than that of the developed countries, India’s health minister said at a G7 meeting. Source: The Hindustan Times, June 4, 2021.
Iowa (United States): Multiple updates…
- Iowa governments would be barred from issuing “vaccine passports” to people as proof they have received COVID-19 vaccinations, and businesses and venues open to the public could face penalties if they require immunization proof under a bill legislators are proposing. Source: Quad-City Times, April 25, 2021.
- A bill banning vaccine passport requirement has passed in the Commerce committee, and now heads to Senate floor. Source: CBS Affiliate, April 27, 2021.
- Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds tweeted she looks forward to signing a bill approved by state lawmakers to ban the use of vaccine passports in certain situations. Source: Local CBS Affiliate, May 6, 2021.
- Governor Kim Reynolds has signed into law a bill barring government entities, private businesses and venues open to the public from requiring Iowans to present so-called “vaccine passports” as proof they’ve received COVID-19 vaccinations. Source: SouthernMinn.com, May 22, 2021.
Ireland: Northern Ireland’s vaccine passport scheme is expected to be live on or by July 19, in line with the EU Digital COVID Certificate in the Republic of Ireland. Source: Irish Central, June 24, 2021.
Israel: Multiple updates…
- Israelis in possession of a “Green Pass” — certificate of presumed COVID-19 immunity, displayed on an Israeli Health Ministry app — will be allowed entry to leisure facilities such as gyms and hotels. Source: Reuters, February 15, 2021.
- The Green Pass is given to any person who has been vaccinated for COVID-19 or recovered from COVID-19. It serves as a mandatory entry permit to certain places according to guidance. Source: Israel, February 17, 2021.
- Israel and Bahrain reached what Israel calls the world’s first bilateral agreement for mutual recognition of COVID-19 vaccine passports for quarantine-free travel between two countries. Source: NPR, April 22, 2021.
- Israel has extended its Covid-19 vaccine passport system to children who aren’t yet eligible to be inoculated, allowing them to visit cinemas, restaurants and other entertainment businesses as it continues to reopen its economy. Under the program, children with negative PCR tests will be eligible for a three-day so-called green passport that will be associated with their parents’ passes. The passports take the form of a QR code that can be carried on a smartphone, though their use isn’t always enforced. Source: The Wall Street Journal, May 1, 2021.
Italy: The country has agreed to ease COVID-19 quarantine rules for travelers who have vaccine passports issued by Japan. Source: Kyodo News, July 20, 2021.
Japan: Multiple updates…
- The country plans to introduce “vaccine passports” to make it easier for people who have been inoculated against COVID-19 to travel internationally, government sources said. Source: KYODO News, April 29, 2021.
- The country is making arrangements for its COVID-19 vaccination passports to be accepted by over 10 nations, including Italy, France and Greece, after the certificate program begins in late July. Source: KYODO News, July 4, 2021.
- Japan will start accepting applications for so-called vaccine passports from July 26 for people who have been fully inoculated against COVID-19 to travel internationally, the top government spokesman said. Source: Japan Times, July 12, 2021.
- Five countries including Italy and Turkey have agreed to ease COVID-19 quarantine rules for travelers who have vaccine passports issued by Japan. Source: Kyodo News, July 20, 2021.
- Japan has added 10 regions and countries, including Germany and Hong Kong, to its list of places where residents who have obtained vaccine passports will be met with eased entry restrictions. Source: Japan Times, August 3, 2021.
Kansas (United States): Lawmakers sent Governor Laura Kelly a budget package on May 7 that bans vaccine passports after a back-and-forth over whether the state should go further in limiting the controversial technology. Source: The Garden City Telegram, May 7, 2021.
Korea: The government said it would adopt a vaccine passport in April, though some officials are skeptical of the plan. Source: Korea Biomedical Review, April 9, 2021.
Louisiana (United States): Multiple updates…
- State leaders are weighing in on the possibility of businesses or airlines requiring people to carry around a vaccine passport. Source: WAFB9, April 6, 2021.
- States lawmakers are backing a bill that would outlaw vaccine passports. Source: Associated Press, April 27, 2021.
- New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell has implemented a citywide COVID-19 vaccine mandate for public activities. Residents and visitors will be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test occurring within 72 hours to enter restaurants, bars, gyms, fitness classes, pool halls, arcades, skating rinks, indoor playgrounds and entertainment spaces, certain large outdoor events and other places. Source: The Center Square, August 13, 2021.
Minnesota (United States): A bill, known as SF 1589 aims to ban forced COVID-19 vaccinations, forced digital contact tracing, and required proof of COVID-19 vaccination before entering a government business. Source: SouthernMinn, April 5, 2021.
Missouri (United States): A push to provide greater oversight over local health orders and ban vaccine passports was renewed last week when the Missouri Senate tacked both proposals onto a sprawling bill on local government issues. Source: The Missourian, May 1, 2021.
Montana (United States): Governor Greg Gianforte issued an executive order banning the development or use of vaccine passports in Montana. Source: Associated Press, April 13, 2021.
Continue to page three for more vaccine passport updates from various countries, states and organizations. Updates sorted alphabetically.
Let’s keep this in mind, everyone!! These vaccines have not received any formal FDA approval for regular use. They are still for emergency use only. I am neither pro nor against vaccines. I am pro-choice of the individual and the business.
Hey Stuart: Thanks for your readership and note. We mention your point in a related list of companies that now require on-site/in-office employees to have covid-19 vaccinations.