New McAfee Channel Chief: Apple Veteran Kathleen Curry
McAfee has hired Apple veteran Kathleen Curry as its SVP of global enterprise channels, OEM and strategic alliances, according to a prepared statement. Curry will help McAfee deliver custom partner solutions and expand the company’s partner program initiatives to accommodate remote workers.
Curry arrives at McAfee amid multiple shifts in the cybersecurity software business.
McAfee: Cybersecurity Software Business Evolution
Indeed, McAfee is striving to grow both organically and via acquisitions — while also eying a potential IPO (initial public offering), though the coronavirus pandemic could pressure or delay that plan, ChannelE2E believes.
Among the company’s recent moves:
- New CEO: McAfee’s CEO post transitioned from Chris Young to former BMC Software leader Peter Leav in February 2020. At the time, there was speculation that McAfee may pursue an IPO or consider merging with NortonLifeLock, Reuters noted.
- Acquisition: McAfee in February 2020 acquired Light Point Security for browser-centric security.
- Managed Detection and Response: McAfee in February 2020 launched an MDR (managed detection and response) service embraced by DXC Technology — a Top 200 MSSP for 2019.
How Does McAfee Work with Channel Partners?
McAfee has an established partner program, though the company has suffered from occasional channel conflict. Still, Curry and new CEO Leav have the opportunity to ensure McAfee makes a fresh start with partners.
The company’s existing partner program includes:
- OEM and Embedded Alliances: Enables OEMs to integrate McAfee security solutions into their products.
- Service Providers: Allows service providers to offer McAfee security solutions as part of a partner-branded service.
- Solution Providers: Ensures solution providers can offer McAfee security solutions as part of a security practice.
McAfee provides security specializations, training, marketing support and profitability incentives to its channel partners. It also provides the McAfee Partner Portal, which enables its partners to access exclusive training and sales and marketing resources.
McAfee’s current owners include TPG Capital, Thoma Bravo and Intel.
Additional insights from Joe Panettieri.