Star Wars The Last Jedi Review: No Spoilers
So, how was Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi? Here’s a short, spoiler free review based on last night’s viewing…
First, My Conclusion:
- The Score: 6.5 out of 10.
- The Good: The Last Jedi is largely better than the Prequels (Episodes I, II, III).
- The Bad: But it doesn’t live up to the originals (IV, V, VI) — not even Return of the Jedi. Nor does it quite live up to Rogue One’s set pieces or Episode VII’s thoughtful character introductions (Rey, Finn).
Now, some spoiler free observations:
- We get some answers to questions raised in 2015’s Episode VII. But I didn’t particularly like the answers.
- There are some great, moving high points.
- Luke and Leia don’t disappoint.
- John Williams’ music doesn’t disappoint.
- Bad CGI nearly ‘overruns’ at least one extended scene. Hint without a plot spoiler: I’m not a fan of casinos or real horse racing. Now, take those elements and animate them. Poorly. Ugh.
- In some areas, it’s as if Disney hired too many actors and then realized: Gee, we need to make up some plot filler to keep them occupied in this movie.
- Attempts at humor occasionally hit, but often miss.
Disney has got to learn: Less is more. For Episode IX please deliver fewer sub-plots.