5 Channel Partner Updates: Friday 18 January 2019
Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Friday, January 18, 2019.
Actually, there are 13 timely updates designed for managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), IT consulting firms, systems integrators, VARs, independent software vendors (ISVs), and telco agents to sip on.
13. Revenues – IT Services: Wipro Ltd reported a better than expected rise in third-quarter profit on Friday, and forecast slightly higher sequential revenue growth from IT services for the March quarter. The results arrive a few weeks after rival Tata Consultancy Services reported a 24 percent rise in quarterly net profit while Infosys reported a 29.6 percent profit slump on account of a one-off gain last year, Reuters reports.
12. Amazon’s Next Big Move: Details surfaced here.
11. Alibaba Warning Signals: China cloud and e-commerce giant Alibaba apparently has postponed some hiring and cut travel spending amid concerns about their home country’s economy. The apparent warning signals arrive just as Alibaba strives to expand its cloud services worldwide — taking on Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform in the process…
10. Talent – CSP: ViON, a cloud service provider, has hired former Microsoft Technical Architect Nicolas Nowinski as VP of IT and security.
9. Talent – Log Management: Scalyr has hired Cisco and Brocade veteran Christine Heckart as CEO. The company’s paid customer base grew more than 100 percent in 2018, though actual revenue figures are undisclosed.
8. Talent – Workspace Software: Ericom Software, has hired Symantec veteran David Canellos as CEO.
7. Talent – MSP: Logicalis, an international IT solutions and managed services provider, has named Dave Hennie as VP of sales, Eastern Region.
6. Spin-Off – Wireless: Strategic Venue Partners has formed a holding company aptly called Strategic Venue Partners Holdings. The company will focus on Wireless Infrastructure-as-a-Service.
4. Venture Capital – Record, But: Venture capital deal making had its fifth consecutive record year in 2018, with 14,889 transactions worth an aggregate $274 billion, easily surpassing the previous high of $192 billion set in 2017, according to data firm Preqin, Chief Investment Officer reports. All that VC money has put pressure on private equity firms to seek out alternative investments, ChannelE2E believes. And in some cases, that has led PE firms into the MSP market. That’s good news for MSPs, but we’re watching closely to see how all the M&A activity plays out…
3. Private Equity – Margin Concerns: Private equity chief financial officers (CFOs) reported another year of unprecedented growth of their firms but are still struggling to overcome operational issues that are dramatically eroding their margins, according to EY.
2. Top 100 Vertical Market MSPs: Participate in our survey here and your company could be honored among the world’s Top 100 Vertical Market MSPs.
1. How Much Is Your Business Worth?: Find out during our next ChannelE2E webcast…