5 Channel Partner Updates: 9 January 2017
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Monday, January 9, 2017.
Actually, there are 22 timely entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
22. iPhone Turns 10: Looking back on the moment Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone on January 9, 2007, and you’ll begin to understand why the iPhone was so darn revolutionary…
21. Breaking — CompTIA Acquires…: CompTIA has acquired the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP). The deal is part of CompTIA’s new IT professional organization, which is designed to help foster a more skilled workforce. Perhaps best known for its IT certifications and IT channel programs, CompTIA sees the lines between IT pros and channel partners blurring.
20. M&A Talent: Here’s a look at the 35 most influential women driving midmarket M&A, according to The Middle Market.com.
19. Microsoft vs. Google vs. Amazon Clouds: Enterprises prefer Microsoft Azure while SMB customers gravitate toward Google Cloud Platform, according to Clutch, a B2B ratings firm. ChannelE2E’s reaction? We’re somewhat skeptical considering so many SMB customers have embraced Office 365 for SaaS, and are therefore exploring Azure for IaaS. Among the question marks to note: The survey only involves 85 Amazon users, 86 Google Cloud Platform users and 86 Microsoft Azure users…
18. Barracuda and Intronis Earnings: Barracuda Networks (CUDA), owner of Intronis MSP Solutions, is set to announce quarterly results sometime today. We’ll be sure to share some channel partner insights after the details emerge… Intronis has spent the past year blending security and business continuity services for MSPs in the SMB sector.
17. Proofpoint Consolidates Channel Team: Proofpoint Channel Chief Dee Dee Phelps Acquista has exited the company. The security company is consolidating its North America channel teams under Jon Bove, North American channels director, and consolidating channel program management under Mark Sheridan, VP of business development, channel programs and alliances, Computer Reseller News reported in its online edition.
16. Microsoft Reorg?: What exactly does the following Microsoft reorganization mean to Channel Chief Gavriella Schuster? We’re checking. Overall, it looks like more and more of Microsoft’s business reports into Judson Althoff, an Oracle veteran. But we’re not quite sure if that means any major (or minor) changes for Schuster and her organization.
15. Zoho Invests $10 Million In Five Startups: Zoho, a quiet SaaS giant that also owns ManageEngine IT management platforms, has invested nearly $10 million in five startups, including machine-vision company Zentron Labs and medical devices maker vTitan, Economic Times reported. Zoho has also been making channel moves in recent months — including launching a commission-free app store for small business ISVs back in 2016.
14. Security Venture Capital: The venture arms of Microsoft and Qualcomm have invested in Team8, an Israeli creator of cybersecurity start-ups, as big multinational companies get behind Israel’s burgeoning cyber industry in the face of growing threats, Reuters reported.
13. TEC Communications Embraces Cisco Umbrella: TEC Communications, an IT and systems integration in the greater Cleveland area, has added Cisco Umbrella (formerly OpenDNS) to its security portfolio. The move delivers cloud-based network security services to TEC’s customers.
12. Tech Data and Google Chromebooks: Tech Data has unveiled a campaign to promote the use of Chrome devices as thin clients, according to ChannelBiz. The distributor wants to encourage more resellers become authorized to sell Chrome Device Management to businesses, the report suggested.
11. VMware and Open Source: VMware has joined the OPEN-O Project, an open source project hosted by The Linux Foundation. It focuses on network functions virtualization (NFV) infrastructure, along with software-defined networks (SDN) and legacy networks. As a Platinum member, VMware will participate in both the governing board, along with the technical steering and marketing committees to help drive the continued wave of innovation in open, standards-based orchestration, VMware said.
But wait. There’s more. Visit Page 2 for items 10 to 1 and the exciting conclusion to this blog.