5 Channel Partner Updates: 7 Dec 2015
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter and so much more to start your day for Monday, December 7, 2015.
Actually, today’s update involves 11 items for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs) and cloud services providers (CSPs) to sip on.
11. The new ISV Battlefront: First, Microsoft introduced PowerApps. Now, Apple is promoting Swift — an open source programming language for mobile devices and Macs. Hmmm… which horse will ISVs bet on?
10. Google Ventures Gets Conservative: Google Ventures, the funding arm of Alphabet, is making fewer seed-stage investments and is pushing more mature startups to go public. Moreover, Google Ventures is rethinking its international investment strategy — the latest signs that something’s gotta give in the startup VC market…
9. IBM SoftLayer Cloud Revenues: SoftLayer, the IaaS arm of IBM, will seek to generate $1 billion in revenues in 2016, up from about $750 million or so in 2015, according to published reports. That’s a lofty goal — until you consider that would represent less than 2 percent of IBM’s overall revenues for 2016…
8. Docker Monitoring: First, the good news. Businesses and service providers are using Docker to more rapidly roll out new applications across on-premises and cloud servers. But how can service providers monitor those Docker systems. Hmm… here’s some Docker monitoring advice from the recent DockerCon EU conference.
7. Help Wanted: New channel-oriented job opportunities (involving sales, marketing, technology and more) pop up regularly on our ChannelE2E Job Board. Check out the latest listings or submit openings for your company. The job board is free to ChannelE2E’s readership.
6. Dell-EMC Deal Details: It sounds like terms of Dell’s $67 billion EMC-VMware buyout may soon include a VMware share buyback and changes to the VirtuStream cloud business, according to Bloomberg. To further improve its balance sheet, Dell may also sell off SonicWall while also taking SecureWorks public. Dell’s buyout of EMC-VMware is expected to close in mid-2016 but some shareholders have been pushing for better buyout terms.
5. Top Predictions for 2016: Each day this month, ChannelE2E debuts a new list of technology predictions for 2016. Our most recent predictions involved RMM software for MSPs; storage and business continuity; and cybersecurity. Got a prediction list? Email me and we’ll consider publishing some or all of your pronouncements — fully crediting you along the way. In the meantime, read our daily prediction list here.
4. Oracle Cloud Database Partners: Oracle is trying to rally database partners into the company’s cloud. It’s safe to expect some new Oracle Database Cloud insights to emerge on December 9…
3. This Week’s IT Conferences: Channel Data Management Summit is Tuesday (Dec. 8) in San Jose, and SaaSFest 2015 is Wednesday (Dec. 9) in Boston. Track the ChannelE2E Technology Event Calendar to see upcoming partner conferences and summits — and submit your event for consideration if it isn’t listed yet.
2. Top 100 IT Entrepreneurs: Did you or your business achieve a key milestone in 2015? Brag about it. Participate in the ChannelE2E 100 survey, and perhaps you or your business could earn the spotlight as a top IT entrepreneur, startup or exit in the IT channel.
1. Yet Another MSP Acquired: Emtec Inc., an IT consulting firm, has acquired Summit Technology — a healthcare-focused MSP based in Athens, Alabama. This isn’t a one-off deal. A larger strategy is unfolding at Emtec. We’ll share details later today.