5 Channel Partner Updates: 6 March 2017
by Joe Panettieri • Mar 6, 2017
Welcome to page two. Enjoy a second serving of channel content — items 10 to 1 — here.
10. Government Cybersecurity: Former NSA leader and Retired Gen. Keith Alexander says government agencies working on cybersecurity are too “stovepiped” to safeguard the nation from digital threats, The Hill reported. Alexander said that the four groups handling cyber issues — the Homeland Security and Defense departments, the FBI, and the intelligence community — are too “stovepiped,” meaning they bottle up information instead of sharing it with one another and across the government, the report said. Instead of reorganizing the security efforts, additional officials said the best solution would be to launching an integrating body…
9.Boeing Security Breach (Sort Of): Boeing is investigating an internal security breach impacting thousands of workers in four U.S. states, according to DefenseNews. The problem started when an employee accidentally sent a spreadsheet containing information for 36,000 employees to his spouse in November 2016. But there’s no evidence the employee leakage triggered problems beyond that…
8. Who Launches DDoS Attacks?: Roughly 43 percent of DDoS (distributed denial of service) victims believe rival firms are behind the DDoS attacks, according to Kaspersky Lab. Indeed, industry sabotage was voted more likely than cyber criminals, disgruntled employees and political conspiracy to trigger DDoS attacks, Silicon UK noted.
7. HIPAA Breach, Fine: Chicago-based Presence Health has become the first health care organization penalized for not reporting a HIPAA privacy breach within a 60-day window, as federal regulators slapped the operator of 11 Illinois hospitals with a $475,000 fine, according to the Cook County Record. Meanwhile, covered entities had until March 1, 2017 to report small HIPAA breaches from 2016.
6. Healthcare Security, Compliance: HITRUST has enhanced its Common Security Framework, including a new CSF initiative aimed at helping smaller healthcare organizations with their risk management programs, Healthcare IT News reports. Founded in 2007, the HITRUST Alliance believes “information protection should be a core pillar of, rather than an obstacle to, the broad adoption of health information systems and exchanges.”
5. Application Security Testing: Gartner’s latest Magic Quadrant for Application Security Testing has emerged… You can find details here.
4. What Is IoT Testing?: Actually, IoT testing is an emerging market opportunity for IT channel partners and service providers. Here’s a summary.
3. M&A – ERP Software: Infibeam has acquired DRC Systems, a cloud-focused ERP consulting and software development firm.
1. Top 100 Vertical Market MSPs: Participate now in our Top 100 Vertical Market MSPs survey. Why? Your company could be ranked and honored among the top vertical market MSPs when we unveil the list and associated research during our April 27 webcast.