5 Channel Partner Updates: 6 January 2017
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Friday, January 6, 2017.
Actually, there are 18 timely entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
18. Gartner Buys CEB: Gartner has acquired CEB, a consulting and advisory firm focused on business decision makers. The move reinforces Gartner’s push beyond traditional IT leaders and technology buyers. CEB executives, by the way, are regular contributors to ChannelE2E.
17. M&A — Unified Communications and Live Chat: net2phone, a provider of cloud-based unified communications services, has acquired LiveNinja, a provider of customer-facing messaging and live chat management services. LiveNinja’s technology will be integrated with net2phone’s PicuP — a a cloud-based communication service for small to midsized businesses. PicuP provides SMBs with an automated self-service platform that allows them to answer, route, and manage their inbound calls.
15. Cloud Distribution: D&H Distributing‘s cloud, IoT and 3D printing businesses grew 77 percent in 2016 vs. 2015. The growth percentages are impressive, but we don’t know the actual dollar figures attached to those percentage rates…
14. Goodbye FM Radio?: Norway is getting ready to eliminate FM Radio. In related news, DNA tests confirm that I’m a dinosaur.
13. Telecom Equipment Layoffs: Chinese telecom equipment maker ZTE, which is facing U.S. trade sanctions that could severely disrupt its supply chain, is slashing about 3,000 jobs, including a fifth of positions in its struggling handset business in China, Reuters reported.
12. Cloud Delivery Platform: Keep an eye on RackNap, a newly launched unified cloud service delivery platform for CSPs — including hosters, data centers, telcos, system integrators , hardware an software distributors). Key RackNap leaders include CEO Guruprit Ahuja and COO Sabarinathan Sampath. Their background includes time with Ingram Micro Cloud, Parallels, Odin and Microsoft. We don’t know if RackNap somehow leverages the Odin platform from Ingram… or if RackNap’s CSP software is homegrown. We’re checking.
11. Hot Samsung Profits: Samsung Electronics says its fourth-quarter profit likely leapt 50 percent from a year earlier to its highest level in more than three years, beating expectations on strong chip sales and a smartphone rebound, Reuters noted. The news is particularly impressive, considering the fire-prone Galaxy Note 7 smartphone likely cost the company about $2.1 billion in profits, the report estimated.
But wait. There’s more. Visit Page 2 for items 10 to 1 and the exciting conclusion to this blog.