5 Channel Partner Updates: 28 November 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Monday, November 28, 2016.
Actually, there are 14 entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
14. Another Strange John McAfee Update: Equibit Development Corp. has retained antivirus pioneer John McAfee as an advisor. Earlier statements indicated that McAfee had actually joined Equibit — a blockchain startup — as an employee. Both sides are now backing away from those original statements. Hmmm….
13. Major Network Hack?: Around 900,000 Deutsche Telekom fixed-line customers in Germany have been hit by network outages that started on Sunday and are continuing, Reuters reported. The ongoing outages could be the work of hackers, the report said.
11. Amazon AWS Database Push: Amazon will unveil its own version of the PostgreSQL database during the AWS re:Invent 2016 conference this week in Las Vegas, according to Fortune. Amazon already offers its own version of MySQL called Aurora, which is very popular with customers…
10. MSPs for AWS Cloud: Expect to hear from dozens — perhaps hundreds — of MSPs this week as they brag about various AWS managed services. A few days ahead of the AWS conference, Stratalux announced that it has now achieved the AWS Managed Service Partner (MSP) Program designation. Dozens of MSPs have earned that AWS MSP moniker.
9. Equinix Attracts Cloud Service Providers: More than 20 CSPs now offer direct connectivity via Equinix’s Sydney and Melbourne, Australia data centers. Equinix will describe the company’s overall cloud strategy during meetings at AWS re:Invent this week. Channel Chief Christopher Rajiah will be on hand for the gatherings. The company essentially offers a cloud of clouds and a network of networks, allowing businesses and CSPs to securely link to specific clouds and networks worldwide.
8. Samsung Breakup?: Samsung Electronics on Tuesday is expected to announce a plan to unlock more shareholder value. Some pundits and investors are calling for a company breakup. And some folks think the company is poised to sell its PC business. HP Inc. is already buying Samsung’s printer business for $1 billion.
7. Lenovo Buying Samsung PC Business?: The rumors are back. Lenovo apparently is taking another close look at Samsung’s PC business. The rumors surface amid Lenovo’s four-part strategy to drive client growth, promote premium products, accelerate data center growth and engage key verticals.
6. Top 20 IoT Companies: I’m not saying these are absolutely the top 20 IoT companies. But the list at least gives you some clues about the industrial IoT market and its key players…. On a side note, here are the top 100 IoT startups and key IoT industries and technologies to track.
5. Microsoft Surface Studio Customer Support: If you buy the new Microsoft Surface Studio desktop PC, Microsoft will offer you a dedicated support line. Microsoft is trying to position Surface Studio as a high-end alternative to Apple iMacs — especially for creative users…
4. Office 365 Reaches 10 M0re Countries: Microsoft has launched Office 365 in 10 additional countries. The cloud suite now blankets 150 markets and 44 languages.
3. VMWare Accelerates Telco Push: VMware has expanded its ecosystem of VMware-ready certified solutions for NFV (network functions virtualization). The move comes only days after the company promoted Shekar Ayyar to executive VP and GM, Telco Group (Nov. 23, item 6).
2. Help Wanted: Channel-friendly companies including ProVal Technologies, Apex Technology Management and ISG Technology have posted new positions on the ChannelE2E Job Board. Check out the openings, apply for a position or post a career opportunity at your company. The ChannelE2E Job Board is a free service for our readers.
1. See You In Las Vegas?: ChannelE2E lands in Las Vegas today (Monday) for Ingram Micro ONE as well as Amazon AWS re:Invent. Our schedule is packed but feel free to email me ([email protected]) with news, chatter or insights from the conferences.