5 Channel Partner Updates: 20 July 2016
Welcome to page two of today’s updates, featuring items 9 to 1.
9. BlackBerry Software and Security Strategy: The mobile company made several major moves yesterday and perhaps even won a key government contract along the way. We’ll share more thoughts — and channel implications — later today.
8. Ericsson CEO Change?: Major Ericsson shareholders suggest the mobile network equipment maker needs a new CEO, according to a media report from Dagens Industri. Ericsson’s business has been under intense pressure amid soft carrier spending. Chatter about the potential CEO change lifted Ericsson’s stock yesterday. Hans Vestberg, 51, has been CEO for six years. Amid cut-throat competition from Huawei Technologies and Nokia, Ericsson cut about 4,000 employees last quarter, Reuters reports.
7. Acronis Upgrade: Acronis Backup 12, a major upgrade, apparently requires only three clicks to install. The new offering is available now through Acronis partners — many of whom are emerging cloud services providers.
6. Veeam Momentum: Veeam Software says bookings revenue grew 38 percent in Q2 2016 vs. Q2 2015. The company now has 200,000 paying customers, including 70 percent of the Fortune 500 and 50 percent of the Global 2000. Still, the business continuity company faces intensifying competition from a range of cloud- and on-premises backup and disaster recovery software businesses.
5. Business Continuity for Financial Services: Alphaserve, an IT service provider that supports hedge fund companies, has launched Advisory Services to assist asset management firms with Business Continuity Plans, Disaster Recovery and Security Advisory Services. It’s a timely move. Alphaserve is striving to capitalize on a recent SEC recommendation involving business continuity services.
4. Data Center Acquisition: Digital Bridge Holdings, a global communications infrastructure company, has acquired DataBank, a Dallas-based provider of colocation, managed, cloud and network services. DataBank has six data centers, which are located in Dallas, North Dallas, Minneapolis and Kansas City. Digital Bridge has partnered with Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), Allstate Investments and The Edgewater Funds in the acquisition. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
3. How to Slash Software Costs: Organizations can slash their software costs by 30 percent using three best practices, according to Gartner.
2. Greed and Private Equity: No doubt, many private equity firms invest for the long haul and focus on true business building. But Harvard Business School has taken a close look at the PE industry and raises this timely question: Is Greed Ruining Private Equity Firms? Hmmm…
1. Exit Strategies At ChannelCon 2016: ChannelE2E is hosting a panel at CompTIA ChannelCon 2016, titled The Five Step Exit Plan (Wednesday, Aug. 3, 9:45 a.m. ET). Join us as MSPs and IT service providers describe how they launched, built and sold their businesses. Got questions? Email me: [email protected].