5 Channel Partner Updates: 20 July 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to sip on for Wednesday, July 20, 2016.
Actually, there are 19 entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs) and independent software vendors (ISVs) to sip on. Take a look…
19. Docker Under Attack: Docker Cloud suffered two DDoS attacks this week, knocking many customer systems offline. Docker Cloud is a container hosting service from Tutum, which Docker acquired in October 2015. Docker Cloud allows IT service providers and customers to deploy and manage Dockerized applications. A spokesman for Docker says the cloud service is taking steps to avoid similar outages in the future. Former Red Hat Channel Chief Roger Egan now runs Docker’s partner program.
18. SUSE Linux Partner Program: SUSE has launched a partner program that allows resellers to host SUSE software products on behalf of their end-user customer. SUSE Reseller Hosting allows resellers to more easily move toward managed services, the company claims. SUSE is one of Red Hat’s top rivals in the commercial Linux market.
17. Intel Earnings and Security Business Sale?: Intel will announce Q2 2016 earnings results later today (July 20, 2016). Pundits are wondering if the Intel Security business (i.e., McAfee) is officially up for sale. At least two private equity firms apparently have interest in the business. Intel has been striving to focus more heavily on its data center, mobile and Internet of Things (IoT) efforts. The intensified focus has also included layoffs in recent months.
16. EMC Shareholders Approve Dell Deal: EMC shareholders approved Dell’s takeover of the storage company in a Tuesday vote. Dell’s buyout of EMC awaits regulatory approval from China. That approval could come later this month, and the combined companies will be know as Dell Technologies thereafter. For channel partners striving to work with the Dell-EMC business combination, keep an eye on these 10 factors and inflection points.
15. Inside Microsoft’s Earnings: Amid growing cloud services revenues, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella last night suggested that he thinks of all Azure cloud customers as ISVs. Meanwhile, CFO Amy Hood said Microsoft’s cloud gross profit margins will fluctuate before showing ongoing improvement sometime during this year.
14. SoftBank Suffers ARM Hangover: SoftBank’s surprise $32 billion takeover of ARM Holdings has been met with investor skepticism. SoftBank’s shares plunged Tuesday, wiping $7 billion off its market capitalization as investors questioned the ARM Holdings buyout price tag, The Wall Street Journal said. SoftBank insists ARM can give the company a leg up on mobile, Internet of Things and data center chips.
13. IBM Full-Year Forecast Questions: Although IBM’s overall business is beginning to stabilize, Wall Street is greeting IBM’s full-year profit forecast with skepticism, Reuters says. Several pundits suggest the company is over-promising on profits amid the shift from hardware and software toward cloud services.
11. SAP Cloud Momentum: SAP SE’s Q2 operating profit was far ahead of Wall Street’s expectations, the company reported this morning. The company’s cloud subscriptions and support revenue rose 41 percent in the quarter. Looking ahead, it appears that SMB cloud revenues — involving channel partners — will be a major emphasis. The company in June named Barry Padgett as SAP’s first-ever SMB Solutions president. And in July, SAP launched a Concur channel partner program. VP Meaghan Sullivan explained the SME (small and midsize enterprise) channel partner strategy in a May podcast with CompTIA and ChannelE2E.
10. Open Source RMM Software: Savvius has unveiled Savvius Insight 2.0, which leverages the open source ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana) stack. Savvius Insight allows IT service providers to manage 1G networks for SMB customers, the company claims. We’ll share more thoughts soon.
But Wait. There’s More. Go to Page 2 for Items 9 to 1. We promise. No Slide Shows Await You…