5 Channel Partner Updates: 17 October 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Monday, October 17, 2016.
Actually, there are ten entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
11. IBM Earnings: IBM’s latest quarterly earnings are scheduled to surface after U.S. markets close today (Monday, Oct. 17). We’ll analyze the results as soon as they surface.
10. Surprise CEO Change: Rogers Communications, the Canadian telecom company, is hiring Joseph Natale as CEO. His predecessor, Guy Laurence, is stepping down effective immediately. The company did not give a reason for Laurence’s departure. The company also didn’t offer an exact start date for Natale, saying that Alan Horn will act as president and CEO in the interim. Natale is the former president and CEO of TELUS Corp.
9. Amazon Slams Oracle: Amazon Web Services leader Andy Jassy says Oracle’s cloud claims are bogus. Oracle made a range of cloud performance claims during a major customer conference in September, essentially countering Amazon Web Services throughout the event.
8. 3D Printer Shipments: Global 3D printer shipments will double in 2016 compared to 2015, according to Gartner. Eager adopters include military organizations, which will use 3D printers to generate replacement partners on aging equipment, the research suggested. Giants like HP Inc. are betting on 3D printers to lead business turnarounds but so far such turnarounds have yet to materialize. HP last week confirmed plans to cut up to 4,000 employees over the next three years or so.
7. Hurricane Matthew Disaster Recovery: The U.S. Small Business Administration has added more counties to the disaster declaration in North and South Carolina affected by Hurricane Matthew. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via the SBA’s secure website. To be considered for all forms of disaster assistance, applicants should register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov, multiple reports stated.
6. Aryaka IPO: Aryaka, a cloud-based network provider and SD-WAN specialist, plans to pursue an IPO in 2018. The company will pursue a valuation of $1 billion or more, according to Reuters. Ahem… By making such an early statement about an IPO runway, is Aryaka actually trying to attract potential takeover interest? Hmmm…
5. MSP Service Desk: ManageEngine has launched ServiceDesk Plus MSP 9.2. It features codeless customization that lets technicians create dynamic ticket forms that validate user input; custom menus that invoke third-party applications from within the ticket interface; and asset barcode integration that let IT asset managers build asset inventory information with automated barcode generation and scanning.
4. Microsoft Cloud Services Due Diligence Checklist: Need a checklist to identify your customers’ cloud performance, service, data management and government objectives? Here’s an example cloud services due diligence checklist from Microsoft.
3. VMware and Dell: VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger says he’s “getting along quite well” with new boss Michael Dell, according to Business Insider. The statement comes only a few weeks after Dell finalized the EMC buyout, essentially gaining control of VMware as part of that process. CRN had reported earlier this year that Gelsinger planned to leave VMware once the Dell-EMC deal was finalized. Gelsinger strongly refuted the CRN report at the time.
2. Dell EMC World: ChannelE2E arrives at Dell EMC World later today and will be blogging live from the conference for most of this week. Got a news tip pertaining to the conference? Email me: [email protected].
1. Help Wanted: Looking to fill a particular position at your company? Promote the opportunity on ChannelE2E’s Job Board. The free job board is designed for VARs, MSPs, CSPs and channel-friendly technology companies. We’ll be blogging about the latest job board entries within the next 24 hours. So submit your entry now.
More: Read all of our daily 5 Channel Partner Updates. Plus: Subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.
Joe – looks like you linked that Microsoft checklist incorrectly…