5 Channel Partner Updates: 17 November 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Thursday, November 17, 2016.
Actually, there are 25 (oh my) entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs), independent software vendors (ISVs), telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
25. Microsoft and Linux: Microsoft has joined the Linux Foundation, the latest indication that CEO Satya Nadella continues to open up the software giant. Among the recent initiatives: Porting SQL Server from Windows to Linux.
24. Microsoft Small Business CRM: Microsoft is adding another new service to its Office 365 Business Premium plan called Outlook Customer Manager, notes Mary Jo Foley. It’s a lightweight CRM offering for small businesses…
23. Oracle Cloud for SMB?: That’s what the database giant is claiming. We’ll take a closer look soon…
22. Small Business Supplies: Staples has sold its UK retain business to Hilco Capital. The business unit had been up for sale since May. The move comes as Staples strives to refocus its U.S. stores while also building out white label cloud and managed IT services.
20. IBM’s Advice to President-elect Donald Trump: IBM CEO Ginni Rometty has published an open letter to Trump, offering guidance on health care, infrastructure and plenty more.
18. Apple Product Quality?: According to the Q3 2016 State of Mobile Device Performance and Health report from Blancco Technology Group, Apple has once again lost the performance battle to Android with its iPhones and iPads failing at a rate of 62 percent worldwide, compared to the 47 percent failure rate of Android devices, the report states. Hmmm… We certainly can’t independently confirm those figures. And I tend to be an Apple device guy — without quite falling into the fanboy crowd.
17. Software Asset Management: SoftwareONE, a provider of software Portfolio management solutions, has updated PyraCloud — an automated platform for procuring, monitoring and optimizing the value of software assets. The new capabilities support cloud and on-premises software management needs, SoftwareONE asserts.
16. Partner Programs:
Xerox has launched an automated cloud service that improves the scan-to-app workflow for customers. The twist? Xerox’s new Web Capture Service is exclusive to channel partners. Impressive.
The Zadara Storage Cloud will offer Intel-based, flash storage solutions in a pure-OpEx-based model – however at prices that rival traditional hard disk drive configurations, the company claims. The offering is available to Zadara’s channel partners.
15. Another PSA Option Emerges: Keep an eye on Computicate. An MSP in the Netherlands wrote the initial code back in 2003 or so. But a rewrite — yup, SaaS — arrived in 2015 or so. It sounds like the company is ramping up to more aggressively promote the platform soon… In the meantime there are at least 20 PSA options floating around the IT channel…
13. MSP Marketing Talent: Ulistic has hired Mo Guerrero in an account management role. He previously held key roles at MSP University and Tri Digital. Ulistic assists MSPs with their marketing and business growth strategies.
12. MSP Documentation and Help Desks: GMS Live Expert is now offering its MSP clientele a free license to IT Glue, the increasingly popular documentation software. GMS Live Expert provides 24×7 outsourced help desk services to MSPs.
11. Business Continuity, Part I: Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 has launched. It now scales to “protect tens of thousands of VMs and petabytes of data.” It also offers direct restore to Microsoft Azure.
But Wait. There’s more. Jump to page two for items 10 to 1.