5 Channel Partner Updates: 15 Dec 2015
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter and plenty more to start your day for Tuesday, December 15, 2015.
Actually, today’s update involves 13 items for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs) and independent software vendors (ISVs) to sip on…
13. HIPAA Education: During a recent coffee talk with Marc Haskelson, we discussed the evolving HIPAA landscape and the potential implications for MSPs. Haskelson, president and CEO of Compliancy Group LLC, arrived to the conversation with plenty of facts. By the way: Thousands of small HIPAA violations go unpunished every year, though that will likely change as audits potentially increase in early 2016. Plus, we should be punishing all the folks who still think there are two P’s in HIPAA. More thoughts soon.
12. Dell Asset Sales: The rumors continue. Dell, in addition to trying to sell SonicWall and Quest Software, apparently is trying to sell its Perot Systems consulting business for $5 billion. Possible suitors include Tata Consultancy Services, Atos, Genpact and CGI, according to re/code. Dell apparently is trying to strengthen its balance sheet ahead of the proposed $67 billion buyout of EMC and VMware, which is expected to close in mid-2016.
11. VMware Monitoring: Blue Medora, which develops endpoint management solutions, has launched the True Visibility Partner Program to “help resellers significantly grow” their VMware vSphere and vRealize Operations business. Hmmm… Proactive monitoring and management of VMware resources… Shouldn’t that be more of a managed services partner program?
10. VMware Backup Partners: Nakivo, which offers backup technology for VMware environments, says it has signed up more than 1,000 channel partners across 108 countries. Roughly 100 hosting, managed and cloud services providers (CSPs) also leverage Nakivo, the company says.
9. Now Arriving: ConnectWise 2016.1, the latest version of the company’s business management platform, has arrived with customizable invoice layouts adapted to specific businesses, a streamlined product to configuration wizard and the ability to create agreements directly from opportunities. The update also has a streamlined procurement process, from serial number entry to shipping. ConnectWise CEO Arnie Bellini previewed many of the ConnectWise 2016.1 enhancements during IT Nation 2015.
8. Managed Cloud Services Investment: SCC, a leading MSP in Europe, has acquired a controlling stake in One Point. SCC’s Cloud Delivered Managed Services (CDMS) gain more voice and data capabilities through the deal.
7. IT Security and Distribution: More than a distributor relationship, FireEye says it has inked a “strategic alliance” with Ingram Micro. Under terms of the deal, Ingram’s partners are empowered to market, sell and support FireEye security products throughout the US and Canada.
6. Docker Networking Alternative: By now, you know about Docker — the container technology that eases software deployment and management across on-premises and cloud servers. But have you heard about Project Calico — an alternative to Docker Networking technology? Hmmm…
5. ChannelE2E Podcasts: Our next podcast features Dima Kumets, senior product manager at OpenDNS — Cisco Systems’ cloud-delivered network security service. We discuss the data science of OpenDNS — and the benefits for MSPs. ChannelE2E Podcasts typically debut each Tuesday night at 9:01 p.m. ET — and sometimes in between…
4. Cloud Monitoring Funding: Cloudyn, a cloud monitoring and management platform, raised $11 million in Series B funding led by Carmel Ventures. The move comes only a few weeks after Cloudyn hired its first chief marketing officer, Meira Primes.
3. Amazon Signing Up VARs: You know about Amazon Web Services’ push to sign up MSPs. But did you hear about AWS’s commitment to VARs as well? Here’s an example: SETA International has joined the Amazon Web Services Partner Network (AWS Partner Network, or AWS PN) — earning a Standard Consulting Partner Status as an Authorized Value Added Reseller. Long live cloud VARs.
2. Fast Exit: F5 Networks‘ new CEO Manny Rivelo on Monday stepped down as an executive and board member for “personal conduct” reasons, just six short months after he was appointed to take over for the company’s former leader, notes Silicon Valley Business Journal. Former CEO John McAdam returns to the CEO slot.
1. Top 50 Channel Partner Events for 2016: Surely, you saw our list of the Top 50 Channel Partner Events for 2016 — ranked by date. To surface on the list, a channel partner conference or summit has to be on our ChannelE2E Technology Event Calendar. Also, it’s gotta be a great event for VARs, MSPs, CSPs, ISVs or emerging channel partners.