5 Channel Partner Updates: 14 June 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to sip on for Tuesday, June 14, 2016.
Actually, there are 12 entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs) and independent software vendors (ISVs) to sip on. Take a look…
12. DattoCon16: What surprises can MSPs expect at next week’s DattoCon16? Actually, here’s a preview from ChannelE2E…
11. ConnectWise Automation Nation: We’ll also be on hand for ConnectWise Automation Nation 2016, a conference designed for MSPs that run LabTech’s remote monitoring and management (RMM) platform. Expect a conference preview from us soon.
10. Oracle Cloud Earnings: Oracle is set to unveil quarterly results on Thursday, June 16. No doubt, the company will comment about cloud-related revenues — sharing revenue figures for SaaS, IaaS and PaaS deployments. The announcement will be particularly timely because a former Oracle employee alleges that the company has been artificially inflating its cloud revenues. Oracle denies the allegations.
9. More Tech Layoffs: Ericsson is the latest technology giant to plan layoffs in 2016. The telecom equipment maker will trim 3,000 to 4,000 employees before making even deeper cuts, newspaper Svenska Dagbladet reported. Ericsson declined to comment on the report.
8. BlackBerry Smartphone Debate: Wells Fargo is the latest Wall Street firm to call on BlackBerry to shut down its handset business to boost profitability. However, CEO John Chen and Senior VP of Global Device Sales Alex Thurber continue to march forward with a new approaches channel-oriented device sales. Thurber is one of several Cisco Systems channel veterans leading BlackBerry’s overall channel initiatives.
7. Cisco Flash Storage Investment: Cisco Systems has invested in Elastifile, an all-flash software defined storage (SDS) startup. The new capital builds on previous Series B investments by other players in the data center and storage industries.
6. Google Enterprise: The search giant has unveiled Google Springboard, a digital assistant that helps enterprise customers to leverage Google’s various services for businesses. To potentially check out Springboard, sign up for the Early Adopter Program.
5. Home IoT Management: Apparently, Apple is snooping on OwnBackup CEO Sam Gutmann. During a dinner conversation with me last week, Gutmann and I described our mutual frustration with the consumer IoT (Internet of Things) market, particularly home automation. Fast forward a few days, and Apple is planning to make an app called Home — which will allow users to connect and control all of their HomeKit-enabled smart home devices. But of course, it sounds like you’ll need an iPad, iPhone or Apple Watch to use Home. (Ahem, what about Mac OS — and Windows, Android, etc.?)
4. Endpoint Security: VMware and Tanium have unveiled a new endpoint security solution called VMware TrustPoint. The offering “combines the speed and scale of Tanium’s endpoint security platform with VMware’s layered OS migration technology, to deliver an integrated solution for unified endpoint management and security,” the two companies claim.
3. New Conference: CareWorx has opened registration for its 1st Annual User Conference, CareWorx VIP 2016, set for Sept. 14-16 in Toronto. The event is designed for MSPs, IT service providers and customers that work closely with CareWorx to promote technology as a service and senior care vertical market IT solutions. CareWorx CEO Mark Scott has worked in and around the MSP market for more than a decade, and previously was CEO of N-able Technologies during its formative years.
2. Help Wanted: Check out the ChannelE2E Job Board for the latest career openings at VARs, MSPs, CSPs, and channel-friendly technology companies. Or post your own company’s openings. The ChannelE2E Job Board is a free service to our readers.
1. Join Us: We’ll unveil the Top 100 Vertical Market MSPs and related research during our ChannelE2E webcast this Thursday at 2:00 p.m. ET/11:00 a.m. PT. Register now to see the list and get the research.
More: Read all of our daily 5 Channel Partner Updates. Plus: Subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.