5 Channel Partner Updates: 11 August 2016
Good morning, channel partners. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to start your day for Thursday, August 11, 2016.
Actually, there are 10 entries for VARs, managed services providers (MSPs), cloud services providers (CSPs) and independent software vendors (ISVs) and telco master agents and telco agents to sip on. Take a look…
10. Google Venture Capital: The founder of Google’s venture-capital arm, Bill Maris, is leaving the company, the latest in a series of high-level departures from parent Alphabet Inc., The Wall Street Journal says. Maris, chief executive of GV, which was formerly known as Google Ventures, is being replaced by Google veteran and GV Managing Partner David Krane, effective Friday, the paper says. Maris described his decision to leave in an interview with Recode on Wednesday night.
9. Business Continuity: Sophicity has embraced Continuum’s Continuity247, a managed backup and disaster recovery (BDR) platform. The government-focused IT service provider has also leveraged Continuum’s RMM (remote monitoring and management), NOC (network operations center) and help desk services. MSPs essentially outsource their backup, RMM and NOC support to Continuum in order to focus on additional revenue-building activities with customers.
8. Cloud Management for OpenStack: Cloud management for the OpenStack market will enjoy a 30.49 percent compound annual growth rate from now through 2020, according to MarketStudyReport.com. Ironically, I think the report fails to mention some of the leading OpenStack management providers — particularly Mirantis and Rackspace.
7. Cloud Management for OpenStack, Part II: Zenoss, which offers hybrid IT monitoring and analytics software, has released extensions that provide granular level monitoring capabilities for popular OpenStack components, such as Ceph and Cinder Storage, Nova Compute services, and Neutron networking connectivity.
6. Managed Network Services: Adtran has expanded its ProCloud Subscription Services to support gigabit routers, IP business gateways and Session Border Controllers (SBCs), increasing its cloud-managed services portfolio to offer affordable rental of carrier-class equipment and associated managed services, the company asserts. ProCloud Subscription Services offer MSPs a range of wired and wireless managed voice and data services to support customers’ network demands.
5. Microsoft Countering iMac: Microsoft may be preparing to launch three new Surface-branded all-in-one (AIO) PCs later this year, according to The Verge. The AOI devices are widely considered Microsoft’s answer to Apple’s iMac.
4. The Problem With Brand Licenses: CRN Europe says EMC Channel Chief Gregg Ambulos will exit the company once Dell completes the EMC buyout. But CRN US says the story isn’t true, citing a tweet from Ambulos:
Rumor mill is in overdrive, totally off base. Jazzed about my future role with Dell EMC (shhh, it’s secret)!
— Gregg Ambulos (@AmbulosGregg) August 10, 2016
The rather interesting twist? CRN US mentions the original (apparently erroneous) report out of Europe… without disclosing the publication’s nearly identical name.
3. Partner Program Update, Part I: Agiloft, which develops agile business process software, has unveiled an expanded partner program that offers 35 percent margins (or higher) to reseller partners of the company’s contract management software suite. In the past year, the program has grown 300 percent, Agiloft asserts.
2. Partner Program Update, Part II: Datameer has launched a redesigned Global Partner Program to recruit and enable partners in the big data ecosystem. The partner program supports technology, ISV/OEM, solution provider/system integrator and affiliate partners.
1. Meet ChannelE2E: We’re set to attend the ASCII IT SMB Success Summit in New Jersey (Aug. 17-18). We’ll be blogging live from the conference and hosting a few one-on-one meetings. If you’d like to request a potential meeting at the show please email me (Joe@AfterNines.com). Special thanks to the ASCII team for the event invite.